There’s nothing more reassuring than the comfort of a BIG HUG! I’m a huge fan of hugs - always have been, always will be and they’re free.
TODAY is National Hug Day It’s an annual unofficial event devised by Rev. Kevin Zaborney (Caro, MI). The idea of National Hug Day is to encourage everyone to hug family and friends just a lil more often.
Now there will be some that will give hugs just because it feels good to give and receive but others may need some encouragement. Studies have shown that human contact and touch has many health benefits. So here are just a few reasons to wrap your love around someone today! If they asked just tell them "Yanni" sent you!
- When we hug someone, oxytocin is released into our bodies by our pituitary gland, lowering both our heart rates and our cortisol levels. Cortisol is the hormone responsible for stress, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
- Holding a hug for an extended time lifts one's serotonin levels, elevating mood and creating happy feelings.
- Hugs show us how to give and receive. When a good hug flows both ways what an amazing exchange of energy.
- Hugs teach us how to let go and be present in the moment. They encourage us to just be in the flow.
- Hugging boosts self-esteem. From the time we're born our family's touch shows us that we're loved and special. The associations of self-worth and physical sensations from our early years become imbedded in our nervous system. The hugs and cuddles we received from our Mom and Dad while growing up remains imprinted, which connects us to our ability to love self and others.
By now you should be mentally making a list of people that you want to hug. Find someone that you love, someone that you want to love, a friend or someone who looks like they could use a really good hug and give them a squeeze. They’ll appreciate it, and so will you. Remember they are FREE and sometimes you’ll get some sugar too! (Wink)
Let us know how you plan on Making Love Better TwoGether today!
Who's on your "To Hug List?"
Follow me on twitter @MakingLoveBettr