By Tania Brown
The Balancing Act—Life & Family
Today, many of us are involved in a balancing act of sorts between work and life. Undoubtedly, we love our children, spouses and families but it is very easy to get lost in the shuffle and become overwhelmed. Most weeks, I find myself somewhere between cello lessons with my daughter, the gym and a school project while doing a load a laundry. Scatter brain? I know. I’m sure that some of you find yourselves spread as thin as you can imagine. But in all the hustle and bustle, it is important to take time out for you, lest you run the risk of a real crash and burn.
Heart disease, stroke, obesity and other stress-related illnesses are real issues confronting women, especially women of color. Some of this is preventable with a little R&R and taking time out for your most important asset, YOU. Here are a few tips to get you over the hump and help you find a peace of mind:
1. Exercise and Eat Healthy—Join a Zumba class in your area or take a walk in the park at least once a week just to unwind. If you’re a Mom-on-the-Go, try packing sensible snacks to avoid the unhealthy fast food lines.
2. Enjoy your friends --- Take some time out just to kick it with the girls. It doesn’t have to be anything extravagant, maybe just a dinner to chat and break the monotony of your hectic life. If you are married or dating, make time for the “boo.” Plan “date nights” just to enjoy each other’s company and keep the spice in your life.
3. Treat yourself--- Take time out just to do you! Plan a spa day; do something for you.
4. Don’t Lose Sight of Your Passion---Each of us have a passion and a purpose. If yours is web design, catering, photography, etc., don’t lose sight of those things. Carve out time to dedicate to those things which you are passionate about. This could be your ticket to new opportunities. Take a leap of faith!
5. Rest--- I know most days you’re a counselor, teacher, doctor and banker, but you must rest. Try to get a good night’s sleep. Lack of rest lends itself to irritability, a weakened immune system and illnesses, including depression and obesity.
6. Ask for help-- As women, we try to do it all. It’s instinctive and you couldn’t help it even if you tried. Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you’re feeling overwhelmed. You’d be amazed at the people who are willing to lend a helping hand.
In this fast-paced world, we have lots of irons in the fire, but it’s so important to take time out to enjoy life and that includes taking time out for you. You only have one life to live. Make the best of it. You’ll be happier and more at ease because of it.
Tania Brown is the creator and editor of www.politicallybougie.com and former Digital Media Lead for Obama 2012 in Alabama. Follow Tania on Twitter @TaNicoleB
Get your blog delivered to you! Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. Six Brown Chicks' list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Tags: balance, health, healthy work life balance, life, lifestyle, lifestyle tips, mommy, mommy blogger, PoliticallyBougie.com, strategies, stress kills, stressful lifestyles, Tania Brown, tips, women, women and heart disease, women's health, work