A summer favorite, the free Broadway in Chicago concert that showcases music and dance performances from some of Broadway in Chicago’s hottest musicals returns for 2017 on Monday, August 14 at 6:15 p.m. on the Jay Pritzker Pavilion stage in Millennium Park (201 E Randolph St).
Eileen LaCario, Vice President of Broadway In Chicago calls the annual event, "the 'Lollapalooza' of Broadway"--her favorite night of the year because " the evening brings Chicagoans of all ages together to appreciate Broadway’s best."
Highlights for this year include performances from: Disney’s ALADDIN, BEAUTIFUL – THE CAROLE KING MUSICAL, THE COLOR PURPLE, the Pre-Broadway Engagement of ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE, LES MISÉRABLES, LOVE NEVER DIES, MOTOWN THE MUSICAL, Andrew Lloyd Webber’s SCHOOL OF ROCK, WAITRESS and WICKED.
Here's a rundown of the shows from which the music is taken--just in case you want to see more.
- ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE featuring both original songs and Jimmy Buffett classics, including “Come Monday,” “Volcano,” “Cheeseburger in Paradise,” and many more comes to Chicago November 9 through December 2, 2017.
- MOTOWN THE MUSICAL tells the story behind the hits like Diana, Smokey, Berry and the Motown family fight against the odds to create the soundtrack of change in America. The song-packed show features more than 40 classic hits such as “My Girl” and “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.” Coming to Chicago October 3 through October 8.
- ALADDIN, adapted from the Academy Award®-winning animated Disney film featuring centuries-old folktales including “One Thousand and One Nights” is on stage in Chicago now through September 10, 2017.
- THE COLOR PURPLE, the Tony Award-winning revival of the musical adapted from Alice Walker’s best-selling novel, comes to Chicago’s Oriental Theatre for a limited two-week engagement next summer July 17 – 29, 2018.
- Set against the backdrop of 19th-century France, LES MISÉRABLES tells the story of broken dreams and unrequited love, passion, sacrifice and redemption featuring beloved songs including “I Dreamed A Dream,” “On My Own,” “Stars," “Bring Him Home,” and “One Day More.” Coming to Chicago this fall from October 11 through October 29th.
- SCHOOL OF ROCK based on the hit film follows Dewey Finn, a wannabe rock star posing as a substitute teacher who turns a class of straight-A students into a guitar-shredding, bass-slapping, mind-blowing rock band--featuring 14 new songs from Andrew Lloyd Webber. Coming to Chicago November 1 through November 19, 2017
- WICKED with music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz looks at what happened in the Land of Oz…but from a different angle. Long before Dorothy arrives, there is another young woman, born with emerald-green skin, who is smart, fiery, misunderstood, and possessing an extraordinary talent. When she meets a bubbly blonde who is exceptionally popular, their initial rivalry turns into the unlikeliest of friendships…until the world decides to call one “good,” and the other one “wicked.” Coming to Chicago December 6, 2017 – January 21, 2018.
- The ultimate love story continues in LOVE NEVER DIES, Andrew Lloyd Webber’s highly-anticipated sequel to The Phantom of the Opera, set to make its premiere in Chicago, February 14 through March 4, 2018.
- BEAUTIFUL the inspiring true story of Carole King’s remarkable rise to stardom chock-full of her memorable songs heads to Chicago December 5 through January 28, 2018.
- WAITRESS tells the story of Jenna - a waitress and expert pie maker, who dreams of a way out of her small town and loveless marriage looking to find a recipe for success. The show comes to Chicago next summer from July 3 through 22, 2018.
Seating for the free Broadway in Chicago concert in Millennium Park is available on the lawn or in the pavilion, first come, first served. No tickets required.
Tickets for some of the Broadway In Chicago shows listed above are on sale now, others will be on sale later. Tickets are available at all Broadway In Chicago Box Offices (24 W. Randolph St., 151 W. Randolph St., 18 W. Monroe St. and 175 E. Chestnut), at the Broadway In Chicago Ticket Line 800 775 2000 and online.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what's happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.