Champagne toast and Mindy Segal's chocolate cake set the stage for eXtraordinary event
Chicago, recently named, best restaurant city in America by Condé Nast Traveler, is proving it in a big way.
Chicago Gourmet and the Illinois Restaurant Association have partnered with the Chicago Architecture Foundation, Chicago Architecture Biennial and the Frank Lloyd Wright Trust, to create the eXtraordinary chefs – eXtraordinary places collection to take place in conjunction with Bon Appetite's Chicago Gourmet in September.
The event, announced at a press conference yesterday at The Crown on Tribune Tower, was celebrated with a champagne toast and Mindy Segal's chocolate cake.
This year’s epicurean celebration, marking the 10th year for Chicago Gourmet in Chicago, will showcase ten ancillary events – seven new and three returning favorites – in addition to the Main Event and Grand Cru.
Ticket sales for eXtraordinary chefs – eXtraordinary places collection will open at 10 a.m. on June 22, with additional on-sale dates to be announced later this summer for the remaining events. (Chicago Gourmet, September 23, 24 and the Grand Cru tickets are on sale now).
Here's the lineup for events that go on sale, June 22:
- September 19, 6-8 p.m.: Cocktails on The Crown ($50/person) features custom cocktails crafted by Chicago’s premier mixologists in a magical setting on the 25th floor of the Tribune Tower.
- September 20, 7-10 p.m.: Daring Design Dinner at the Robie House ($225/person) features a multi-course meal prepared by all-star chefs Matthias Merges (Yusho, A10, Billy Sunday) and Carrie Nahabedian (NAHA, Brindille) along with wines from the Robert Mondavi Reserve collection at the Frank Lloyd Wright Robie House in Hyde Park.
- September 23, 7:30-10 p.m.: Japanese Dinner Under the Stars on the Pritzker Pavilion Stage ($250/person) features an innovative multi-course Japanese dinner menu created by celebrity chef Ivan Orkin (Ivan Ramen, Chef’s Table), Chicago’s own Takashi Yagihashi, and international star Naoyuki Yanagihara (Vice President of Yanagihara School of Traditional Japanese Cuisine) create a lavish along with selections from Suntory Toki whiskey and Joto Sake.
- September 23, 11 p.m.-2 a.m.: Sweets & Beats: After Hours Dance Party on the Willis Tower Skydeck ($85/person) Chef Mindy Segal (Mindy’s HotChocolate) teams up with Chicago’s “first ladies of pastry” for a party featuring custom dessert bites, cocktails, dancing to a live DJ and more on the 103 floors above it all.
- September 24, 8:30-10:45 a.m. or 10:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m.: Rise & Shine Gourmet at the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel ($40/person) Kick off your Sunday with yoga at this Chicago landmark property. First opened in 1893, the Chicago Athletic Association has been beautifully restored into 21st century boutique hotel. Following each yoga session will be brunch and morning cocktails.
Tickets will go on sale at a later--to be announced date--this summer for the following events in the series:
- September 20, 6-9 p.m.: Farm2Table Dinner on The 606 ($200/person) features gourmet food prepared by chef Rick Bayless (Frontera Restaurants) with featured pours by Casa Noble Tequila and pairings with New Zealand’s biodynamic Trinity Hill Winery.
- September 22, 6-9 p.m.: Hamburger Hop at the Harris Theater Rooftop – This returning event--always a sellout is celebrating year 10 with a twist. Newcomer chefs will go head-to-head with previous Hamburger Hop winners for an opportunity to be crowned Peoples’ and Judges’ champion. Bon Appétit magazine’s Editor in Chief Adam Rapoport and Deputy Editor Andrew Knowlton will host alongside a panel of celebrity judges.
- September 22, 9 p.m.-midnight: Late Night Gourmet at The Underground will immediately follow Hamburger Hop with bites, cocktails and DJ beats.
- September 23, 7-10 p.m.: Ballpark Fare Goes Gourmet at The Park at Wrigley features “haute” dogs prepared by Chicago’s preeminent toques, including Jimmy Bannos Jr. (The Purple Pig), Paul Kahan (One Off Hospitality), Jeff Mauro (Pork & Mindy’s), Jason Vincent (Giant) along with musical entertainment and beverages. Billy Dec (Rockit Ranch Productions) will emcee.
- A mystery pop-up will round out the series with beloved, star Chicago chefs. Details to be announced soon.
Click here to order tickets online.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what's happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.