NEWCITY in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood has been under development for some time--actually many years. While many of the retail establishments, residences, entertainment venues and restaurants have been opening throughout the spring, summer and fall of 2015, this weekend marks the official grand opening.
The exciting new development on an 8.5-acre site located at the intersection of Clybourn Avenue and Halsted Street is now ready for its close-up.
The celebration kicks off at 9:30 a.m. today with entertainment and a VIP Ribbon-cutting ceremony (10 a.m.) with Mayor Rahm Emanuel and other local officials in the Plaza at 1457 N. Halsted Street. The festivities continue throughout the weekend (see schedule below).
The NEWCITY complex combines retail, dining, entertainment, residential living and medical offices--thus its "neighborhood within a neighborhood" or "city withing a city" designation. Additionally, the space offers a one-acre landscaped plaza; pedestrian-friendly sidewalks, 1,000-space public parking garage, and valet service.
An interesting mix of retailers fill the 360,000 square feet of retail space including: Adobe Gila’s; ArcLight Cinemas; Asha SalonSpa; AT&T Store; Capital One Café; DICK’S Sporting Goods; Earls Kitchen + Bar; Evereve; James & Sons Fine Jewelers; IT’SUGAR; Kings Bowl; LYFE Kitchen; Mariano’s; Nando’s PERi-PERi; Yard House; and Z Gallerie.
Residential space includes a 200 rental unit residential tower with 16 levels with floor plans.
Here is this weekend's lineup for NEWCITY's grand opening celebration:
Friday, October 30
- 9:30 a.m. – Ribbon cutting kick-off with live performance by the British International School of Chicago, Lincoln Park children’s choir; and special appearances by Kings Bowl mascots “Woody T. Pin, Esq.” (pin) and “BB Kings” (ball), and by “Barci,” the Nando’s PERi-PERi mascot.
- 10 a.m. - Ribbon Cutting Celebration10 a.m. – 6 p.m. - Stilt Walkers, Face Painters, Balloon Hats, and Elsa and Olaf characters from “Frozen;” tours also available of The Residences at NEWCITY
Saturday, October 31
- 10 a.m. - Live performance by the British International School of Chicago, Lincoln Park children’s choir10 a.m. – 2 p.m. - Stilt Walkers, Face Painters and Balloon Hats
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. - Jessie White Tumblers
- 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. - Mickey and Minnie Mouse characters
- 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. – Halloween Activities at NEWCITY retailers
- 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. - Performance by The Happiness Club
Sunday, November 1
- 1 p.m. - Performance by the DePaul Women’s Acapella group (DWaC)
- 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. - Appearance by Minion characters
- 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. - Stilt Walkers, Face Painters, Balloon Hats
- 2 p.m. – 3 p.m. - Performance by We Gotta Bingo
- 3 p.m. – 4 p.m. - Jessie White Tumblers
Special offers and freebies:
In addition to the performances and activities check out the NEWCITY retailers for special discounts; gift card giveaways; tours and FREE food including:
Get free Chips & Salsa from open to close on Friday, October 30 and Sunday, November 1 and one free kids meal on Saturday, October 31 (per adult entrée order) at Adobe Gila’s.
LYFE Kitchen will be offering free samples of their signature infused LYFE Waters, including the Orange Ginger Chia and Hibiscus Beet, as well as signature flatbreads, including the BBQ Chicken and Roasted Mushroom and Goat Cheese today through Sunday.
Nando’s PERi-PERi will be giving away free chicken between 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. (dine in only) on Saturday, October 31.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what's happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.