No longer is it just peanuts and Cracker Jack at ball parks across America. Every year the food offerings get more creative with this year’s food line-up at The Cell looking to be batting at least .500.
Just ask, Brooks Boyer, White Sox senior vice president of sales and marketing, who has invited the media out to U.S. Cellular Field today to sample a variety of "the best ballpark food" around--pitching the inaugural eats as an appetizer to the 2014 season which opens Monday, March 31.
The new menu looks capable of going the distance with the always popular Chicago hot dog still leading the pack. The winning line-up offers a slugfest of pierogies, bacon and cinnamon pretzel bites. Try washing those down with a Guinness float and you've got a four-base blast.
Off-field standouts have the pig in the win column with two new food offerings:
- The “classic” Chicago Pork Chop sandwich—a boneless beauty served with grilled onions on a corn-dusted Kaiser roll (offered at the Grill Stands in center field and sections 122, 140 and 524).
- The pork-chop is joined by, Show Me Chicago favorite, Bacon-on-a-Stick--a mouth-watering thick slab of premium Danish bacon seasoned with black pepper (available at the two Burger Barn locations in sections 112 and 528).
Other new food items added to U.S. Cellular Field offerings for 2014 season include:
- Adobe Mango Chicken Sausage consisting of an all-natural chicken sausage mixed with mango and adobe chilies (offered at the Bobak’s portables in sections 117, 126, 139 and 534).
- Xfinity Zone Carved Sandwiches. Take your choice of the Supreme Corned Beef, served on marble rye and topped with jalapeno-ranch cole slaw, Swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing...OR the Ultimate Turkey Club, on 7-grain wheat bread and topped with bacon, jack cheese, avocado, lettuce, tomato, red onion and an apricot chili aioli (available at The Xfinity Zone Bar and Carvery in section 107).
- Beggars Pizza will offer cheese, pepperoni and sausage pizza plus a gluten free pizza option (available at U.S. Cellular Field’s Pizza Stands in sections 101, 124, 154, 163 and 522).
New Beer Offerings:
The Cell has amped up their beer menu with some very good hops including: Revolution Anti-Hero IPA, Lagunitas IPA, Lagunitas Day Time Pale Ale, MillerCoors Smith and Forge Hard Cider, Miller Fortune, Veteran Beer Company Blonde Bomber Ale and Bell’s Two Hearted Ale.
Gourmet Offerings at The Club Level, Diamond Suite or Stadium Club will feature Levy Restaurant's traditional menu as well as their newest menu items:
- The Bacon Mac and Cheeseburger--a reinvented ballpark classic with a signature ground beef blend steakburger topped with a scoop of creamy bacon mac and cheese.
- A Chicken and Waffle Sandwich--sure to be a crowd-pleaser, this crispy cornflake breaded chicken is served between two house-made waffles that are generously brushed with honey butter and maple syrup.
- Cinnamon Bites--the soft cinnamon pretzel bites with sweet vanilla ice cream promise be an easy-to-swallow choice.
- Banana Split Sundae Helmet--or you can top off your meal with an with an eye-popping three-pound banana split. This heavy-hitter offers four scoops of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream drizzled with caramel, strawberry and chocolate syrup then topped with whipped cream and cherries.
That one's going, going, gone...a treat that's out of the ballpark.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what's happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.