Snow sculpting teams from around the world are working hard creating masterpieces that will be on display at this weekend's Snow Days at Navy Pier.
With 60" of snow and counting this winter, Chicago is a winter wonderland. The spectacular snow sculptures against the beautiful backdrop of Navy Pier's Gateway Park and the lakefront create a magical setting that's not to be missed.
The event kicks off on Wednesday February 5 with 15 teams from Norway, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Argentina, Mexico and India on-hand alongside local teams including artists from Chicago, Detroit and Rockford.
The professional snow sculptors will create their breathtaking carvings from 10-foot blocks of snow. The carving will continue daily through Saturday, February 8 when the public will be able to view and vote on their favorite piece from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
An awards ceremony will be held at 6 p.m. on Saturday, February 8 inside the Family Pavilion for first place, second place, third place and the people’s choice award. The completed works will be on display Saturday, February 8 and Sunday, February 9 along with family activities.
More Snow Day Highlights include…
- 12 high school teams from the Chicagoland area will be carving slightly smaller sculptures throughout the weekend
- Sculptures will be illuminated in a festive light display every evening
- An interactive snowboarding experience for kids to learn how to snowboard and practice their skills on an obstacle course
- Snow Painting where visitors can create their own colorful masterpiece in the snow
- Snow games
- Plus a special visit from Shedd Aquarium’s beloved Magellanic Penguins 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. The penguins will be available for the public to see up-close while trainers answer questions about the animals, their habitats and more. Penguins will be on view in the Family Pavilion.
Snow Days Chicago Hours are Saturday 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. with the nighttime illumination starting at dusk each day. The FREE event includes activities for guests of all ages.
Extra, extra...The Second Annual Cider Summit at Navy Pier
If you are 21 or over, you may want to check out the region’s largest cider tasting event on Saturday, February 8. The Cider Summit features over 90 ciders from throughout the US, England, Scotland, France, Spain and New Zealand. The event also features owners and cidermakers who will inform and guide attendees through the samplings that will be available in 4-ounce portions. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 cash only at the door, if available. Navy Pier, Lakeview Terrace Room, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. or 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what's happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.