Chicago restaurants are gearing up for the crowd of over two million people expected to come out for this Sunday's 2013 Chicago Marathon. The street party atmosphere and carb-loading have already begun. So whether you're one of the 45,000 runners or part of the two million spectators it's time to get your plan in place for one of Chicago's biggest events of the year.
And to think it all started with 1,000 runners in 1977 at the Ravenswood Bank Lakefront 10-Mile Run. That successful run was followed by the Mayor Daley Marathon in September of 1977--attracting over 4,000 runners at $5 a head--making it the largest marathon in the world. And the rest, as they say, is history.
This Sunday's race runs through many of Chicago's most iconic neighborhoods including Little Italy, Chinatown, Greektown, Lincoln Park and Lakeview offering an opportunity to try something different or you can check out some of the specials below.
- Park Grill, Chicago Marathon Breakfast and Watch Party. Enjoy an alfresco breakfast buffet in the heart of Millennium Park starting at 8 a.m. Catch all the Marathon action and cheer on the runners via large monitors set throughout the Plaza. Tickets are $18, 8 a.m.- 12 p.m.
- Cheer on Runner's Final Mile at Weather Mark Tavern. The restaurant and bar will open it's doors for brunch at 10:30 a.m. and feature bottomless mimosa's ($13.95 with purchase of an entree) and $5 SKYY Vodka Bloody Marys and Screwdrivers. Brunch dishes include Traditional Eggs Benedict; $8.50, Buttermilk Pancakes or French Toast; $7.95, Huevoes Rancheros; $7.95 made to order skillets; $9.95 and more., 1503 South Michigan Avenue, Reservations, 312 588 0230
- Bridget McNeill's, Friday, October 11th - Saturday October 12th, $2 off any Pasta dish. 420 W. Belmont Ave.
- Bombay Bliss, 3108 N. Broadway Ave.. Saturday, October 12th and Sunday, October 13th, All you can eat buffet brunch for $14
- CHICAGO q. Start off your day at Chicago q Marathon Brunch featuring their signature Barbecue Bloody Mary, rimmed with Pig Powder Rub and served with celery, a bread & butter pickle and smoked bacon sausage. 1160 N. Dearborn St. 312 642 1160
- Frog N Snail, Friday, October 11th - Sunday, October 13th, Bring in your runners bib and receive 26% off of an entree order. 3124 N. Broadway Ave.
- Bountiful Eatery. Ask for the 20% off discount on their Bison Burger or Turkey Jalepeño Burger that includes a side and salad. 3310 N. Broadway St.
- Chicago Firehouse Restaurant. Great views of the finish line along with their Sunday Brunch, balloons for the kids and more. 1401 S. Michigan, 312 786 1401
- Bar Pastoral. Roasted Eggplant dish for $16 comes with Quinoa, Curried Chick Peas, Hidden Springs Feta, Parsley, Red Onion and Cucumber Salad. 2947 N. Broadway
Chicago Marathon 27th Mile Post-Race Party. This outdoor celebration, featuring live entertainment, food and beer is open to runners and the public ages 21 and over (photo ID required). Runners can redeem the tear-off portion of their bib number for one free 312 Urban Wheat Ale. Additional food and beverages will be available for purchase. 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., with live music beginning at 10:30 a.m. and beer ticket redemption and sales from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Grant Park’s Butler Field.
The Chicago Marathon begins at 7:20am (wheelchair race), 7:30am (marathon wave 1) and 8:00am (marathon wave 2), and will continue throughout the day. The Start and Finish Line are both located in Grant Park on Columbus Drive. The route extends north to Addison Street, west to Damen Avenue and south to 35th Street
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what's happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.