The newly expanded Chicago Shakespeare Theater free summer series that brings Shakespeare to the neighborhoods launches today at Eckhart Park with "The Comedy of Errors". The 75-minute, family-friendly production will continue performances in 18 neighborhood parks through August 25th.
Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks is inspired by the open air setting in which Shakespeare’s plays were originally performed more than 400 years ago, and Joseph Papp’s twentieth century American initiative that brought free Shakespeare to urban communities.
This summer's selection "The Comedy of Errors" is staged and adapted by Jeff Award-winning director and choreographer David H. Bell. The Comedy of Errors is one of the Bard’s most popular plays about mistaken identities. The Shakespeare in the Parks program is a partnership between the Chicago Shakespeare Theater, the city of Chicago and the Chicago Park District.
Below are the times, locations and dates:
- Eckhart Park Sunday, July 28, 4:00 p.m. 1330 W. Chicago Ave.
- Tuley Park Tuesday, July 30, 6:30 p.m. 501 E. 90th Pl.
- Dvorak Park Wednesday, July 31, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, August 1, 6:30 p.m. 1119 W. Cullerton St.
- Loyola Park Friday, August 2, 6:30 p.m. Saturday, August 3, 6:30 p.m. 1230 W. Greenleaf
- Hamilton Park Sunday, August 4, 4:00 p.m. 513 W. 72nd St.
- South Shore Cultural Center Tuesday, August 6, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, August 7, 6:30 p.m. 7059 S. South Shore Dr.
- Humboldt Park Thursday, August 8, 6:30 p.m. Friday, August 9, 6:30 p.m. 1440 N. Humboldt Dr.
- Riis Park Saturday, August 10, 6:30 p.m. 6100 W. Fullerton
- Douglas Park Sunday, August 11, 4:00 p.m. 1401 S. Sacramento Dr.
- Piotrowski Park Wednesday, August 14, 6:30 p.m. 4247 W. 31st St.
- Gage Park Thursday, August 15, 6:30 p.m. 2411 W. 55th
- Welles Park Friday, August 16, 6:30 p.m. Saturday, August 17, 6:30 p.m. 2333 W. Sunnyside Ave
- Washington Park Sunday, August 18, 4:00 p.m. 5531 S. Martin Luther King Jr Dr.
- Marquette Park Tuesday, August 20, 6:30 p.m. 6743 S. Kedzie
- Ridge Park Wednesday, August 21, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, August 22, 6:30 p.m. 9625 S. Longwood Dr
- Frank J Wilson Park Friday, August 23, 6:30 p.m. Saturday, August 24, 6:30 p.m. 4630 N. Milwaukee Ave.
- Garfield Park Conservatory Sunday, August 25, 3:00 p.m. 300 N. Central Park Ave.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what's happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.