Click here for list of Chicago Museum Free Days for 2015
CHICAGO, Thursday, January 17, 2013. With rates scheduled to go up at both the Art Institute of Chicago and Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry in February, it may be time to check out the new rates and the "free days".
Yesterday the Art Institute of Chicago announced what they call their "new fee structure". Here's the skinny:
• Chicago residents: $18.00 ($5.00 discount from base $23.00 fee)
• Illinois residents: $20.00 ($3.00 discount from base $23.00 fee)
• Out-of-state visitors: $23.00
Students and seniors:
• Chicago residents: $12.00 ($6.00 discount from base $18.00 fee)
• Illinois residents: $14.00 ($6.00 discount from base $20.00 fee)
• Out-of-state visitors: $17.00 ($6.00 discount from base $23.00 fee)
Children under 14: Free Special exhibitions: Free with general admission. Surcharge for select exhibitions may apply during free hours for IL residents. Certain community members always get free admission.
• Children under 14
• K-12 Illinois teachers and Illinois school groups
• Chicago police and firefighters
• Active members of the U.S. military
• Former PoWs and disabled U.S. veterans.
Fortunately there are still times that visitors can enjoy complimentary admittance to the museum. The following free hour programs will become effective starting February 14, 2013.
• Beginning February 14, 2013, the Art Institute will offer free admission every Thursday evening for Illinois residents from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.
• Free Thursday Evenings will replace the 2012 free days of the first and second Wednesdays of every month.
• Free Winter Weekdays for Illinois residents will continue through February 13, 2013. Illinois residents are required to show proof of residency to receive a free ticket at the Art Institute's admissions counter. On Saturdays and Sundays during this period, general admission policies apply.
• The museum offers a wide array of free admission opportunities for Illinois residents.
• Free evening once a week (Thursdays, 5:00-8:00 p.m.) throughout the year
• Free Winter Weekdays January 7-February 13, 2013
• Free to families whose children receive a family pass during school group visits
• Free for holders of Chicago Public Library museum passes
• The public enjoys the following museum areas free of charge:
• The Ryan Education Center in the Modern Wing as well as all programs for families and children within the center
• The North and South Gardens (accessible from Michigan Avenue)
• The Nichols Bridgeway connecting the museum to Millennium Park
• The Bluhm Family Terrace on the third floor of the west pavilion of the Modern Wing.
Filed under: Art Institute of Chicago.