CHICAGO, Thursday, September, 13, 2012. It looks like Chicago has another picture perfect fall weekend coming up with lots of outdoor happenings in our midst. Check out some of Show Me Chicago's favorites plus the early warnings for the awesome upcoming events for September 2012 on this weekend's wrap.
Click here for 2015 events.
- The Hideout Block Party and A.V. Fest, September 14 and 15.
- Guiness Oyster Fest, September, 15, 16.
- Riot Fest, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. The all-ages music fest take place Friday at the Congress Theater and on Saturday and Sunday at Humboldt Park. Tickets start at $45
- Old Town al Fresco outdoor dining event. From Monday, September 17th to Thursday, September 20th, thirteen Old Town restaurants will be offering specific patio dining specials as part of the year-long Living Old Town 2012 event series. During the four days, participating businesses will have patio-specific promotions ranging from half-priced wine bottles to dessert specials to group discounts. The participants include: Benchmark Tavern (1510 N. Wells), Bistrot Margot (1437 N. Wells), Catering|Chocolate (1712 N. Wells), Corcoran’s Grill & Pub (1615 N.Wells), Dinotto Ristorante (215 W. North), Einstein’s Bagels (1443 N. Wells), Kamehachi (1531 N. Wells), O’Briens Restaurant (1528 N. Wells), Old Town Pour House (1419 N. Wells), Orso’s Restaurant (1401 N. Wells), Subway Sandwiches (1529 N. Wells), Trattoria Roma (1535 N. Wells) and The Twisted Baker (1543 N. Wells).
- Latino Music Festival 2012 Kickoff: "Songs Across the Ocean" Friday, September 14, 6:30 p.m. free; no tickets required, The Art Institute of Chicago, Fullerton Hall, Soprano Amy Conn, with pianist Shannon McGinnis.
- Beethoven Festival. Beethoven Festival: REVOLUTION 2012 offers 60+ events to be presented continuing daily through Sunday, Sept. 16 at the primary performance venue of the Festival, National Pastime Theater (941 W. Lawrence Ave, Chicago). Tickets are on sale now and available directly at TicketFly.com or via a link from the International Beethoven Project’s website. Through Sunday.
- Day of the Dead Exhibition opens at the National Museum of Art. This year's exhibition for Dia De Los Muertos 2012 is Hanal Pixan (Food for the Souls). The Opening reception is Friday, September 14 from 6 to 8:30p.m. the member's preview is Thursday, September 14 from 6 to 8:30p.m. The exhibition continues through December 16, 2012. 1852 W. 19th Street. 312 738 1503.
In the Burbs.
- Lake Forest Library Huge Book Sale. This annual book sale is one of the best in Chicagoland offering a huge selection of like new books in all categories from children's and cookbooks to collectors and best sellers. Lake Forest Recreation Center, September 14, 15 and 16. 400 Hastings Rd., Lake Forest. (all books half-priced on Sunday).
- Lake Bluff Music Festival. Saturday, Village Green. Lake Bluff Brewing Company will be hosting a beer and wine tent on the Village Green along with food being offered from Inovasi/Wisma and Sankalp Dosa Bar. The event will feature GEM, an all-girl, all original, teen band based out of Lake Bluff who released their first, self-titled CD in 2011; Local and brewery favorite, Happy Ashtray, a band featuring Lake Forest residents John Swamy, John Walsh and Craig Pierson, (Happy Ashtray is playing in support of their new album "Seventy Miles"); Chicago's own Red Pop Fury, rock and roll trio will headline. 1 E. Scranton, Lake Bluff. 3p.m to 7p.m.
- Glenview House will be offering a four course Rosh Hashanah dinner with Chef Grant Slauterbeck's twist on customary recipes from Sept 16-18 as well as a Yom Kippur 'Break Fast' traditional dairy dinner on Sept 26. 1843 Glenview Rd. 847 724 0692.
Tis' the Season for Oktoberfests.
- Oktoberfest on Federal Plaza. Berghoff's big 3-day outdoor bash continues Thursday and Friday at John C. Kluczynski Federal Plaza (corner of Adams and Dearborn) with traditional German performances by Johnny Wagner Band and nightly shows by some of Chicago's favorite bands. Plus traditional German faire (and beer, of course). Free admission, daily from 11a.m.-9p.m.
- Wilmette Oktoberfest. Saturday, September 15, 9a.m. to 11:30p.m. The ninth annual fest features an antiques market, family activities, an outdoor beer garden, a German diner and live music. St. Joseph School, 1740 Lake Ave., Wilmette.
- Oak Park Oaktoberfest. The 22nd annual two-day event takes over downtown Oak Park on September 14 and 15. Sample seasonal food from local restaurants, specialty microbrew beers, great wines, music and even a children's "root beer garden" on Saturday offering Zucchini races, Karaoke and more. September 14, 4-10p.m. and September 15 from 12-10pm. Marion Street & North Blvd., Oak Park. 708-383-4145
- Berwyn's Oktoberfest. Berwyn's popular Oktoberfest returns for its 11th year on September 14 and 15. The fun includes food, live performances, amusement rides, vendors, a beer garden. Dogs are welcome at this event at the special Dog-toberfest featuring a dog friendly area with activities and treats for Fido. 6p.m. to 11p.m. Friday and noon to 11p.m. Saturday.Windsor and Stanley Avenues, Berwyn, 708 788 8100
ART FAIR ROUNDUP.
- Highwood Last Call Art Fair, Saturday, Sunday in Downtown Highwood at Sheridan Road and Highwood, 10 am to 5 pm., 120 Exhibitors.
- Deer Park ARTumn Harvest, Saturday, Sunday, Deer Park Town Center, 20530 N. Rand Road, Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm., Sunday, 12 noon to 5 pm., 70 Artists.
- LaGrange, West End Art Festival, Saturday, Sunday, at the Stone Avenue Train station along Burlington Avenue between Brainard and Spring Avenues. Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm; Sunday, 10 am to 4 pm., 90 Exhibitors.
- Naperville, 27th Annual Riverwalk Fine Art Fair, Saturday, Sunday, downtown Naperville along the Dupage River (Eagle St and Jackson Ave), 10 am to 5 pm., 140 Artists.
- The 22nd Annual An Arts & Crafts Adventure II. Saturday.Hodges Park, 101 South Courtland, Park Ridge, 9a.m. to 5p.m.
- Link to upcoming Oktoberfests in Chicago and Suburbs.
- The 48th Chicago International Film Festival, October 11- 25, 2012.
- Chicago Gourmet's Hamburger Hop and Chicago Gourmet 2012. Hamburger Hop, Friday, September 28, 6–9pm Harris Theater, 205 E Randolph St. Chicago Gourmet, Millennium Park, Sat 29, noon–6pm; Sun 30, noon–5pm., 55 N Michigan Ave. 312-380-4128,.
- ART EXPO, September 20 through 23 at Navy Pier.
- Farm to Fork. The inaugural farm to fork event on September 22, 2012 at Naperville's McDonald Farm. From plucking and tasting fresh ingredients, in-depth discussions on local agriculture to intimate conversations with the Farm to Fork chef Valerie Bolon.
- Food Truck Fest, Friday, September 21, 5p.m. WTTW Studios, 5400 N. St. Louis, $20-25.