Chicago summer does not go gentle into the night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
But Chicago autumn is just around the corner making it almost alright.
...with deep apologies to Dylan Thomas
CHICAGO, Thursday, August 16, 2012. As summer begins to wind down, it does not go out with a whimper it goes out with a bang--the loudest of all this weekend's A & W show.
This is the last weekend for The Grant Park Summer Fest 2012 but Jazz Fest is waiting in the wings. There are still enough block parties and festivals to keep the biggest party people happy; while those looking for more arts and culture are on the cusp of a calender-load of fall openings. So enjoy the weekend and start looking forward to the fall. AND tomorrow, check out Show Me Chicago's list of Five Summer Must Do's Before it is Too Late...especially for kids and families.
- Korean Festival, Sat 18, Sun 19, noon–10:30pm. 3200–3400 W Bryn Mawr Ave.
- Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest, August 18-19, Rogers Park.
- North Side Summerfest, August 18-19, North Center.
- Mad Decent Block Party 2012, Saturday, noon-10pm, headliners include Action Bronson and TanlinesFulton Street (between Ashland and Justine).
- Grant Park Music Festival, Friday, August 17 at 6:30pm; Saturday, August 18 at 7:30pm., Carlos Kalmar leads the Grant Park Orchestra and Chorus with vocalist Aleksandra Kurzak, Millennium Park, Pritzker Pavilion, 205 E Randolph St. 312-742-7638. Free.
- Chicago SummerDance, Thursday, August 16; Saturday, August 18, 6–9:30pm; and Sunday, August 19, 4–7pm. Grant Park, Spirit of Music Garden, 601 S Michigan Ave 312-742-4007. Free.
- The Chicago Air and Water Show. Friday, Practice Day, Saturday and Sunday Show, 10a.m. to 3p.m., Chicago Lakefront centering from North Ave. Beach. Free.
- Chicago Navy Week 2012, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Navy Pier, special events and tours.
- South Shore Summer Festival, Saturday, 1600 E. 73rd St. (773) 955 9508.
- Dance for Life 2012, Saturday 8p.m. Auditorium Theatre, reception, 5p.m. Hilton,, 520 S. Michigan, Benefit for HIV/AIDS.
- Oak Park 38th Annual Arts & Crafts Show, Friday, 11 am to 7pm; Saturday, 9a.m. to 5p.m., Scoville Park, Oak Park Ave & Lake St . 125 Exhibitors.
- Lincolnshire Art Festival, Saturday and Sunday , around the fountain in Lincolnshire's Village Green, 10a.m. to 5p.m. 120 Artists.
- Long Grove Art Fest, Saturday 11a.m. to 7p.m. and Sunday, 10a.m. to 5p.m., downtown Long Grove, 90 Artists.
- Trolleyfest, Saturday and Sunday, 11a.m. to 6p.m. Fox River Museum, 361 S. LaFox St.,South Elgin.
- 41st Annual A Walk in the Park (art show), Sunday, 10a.m. to 5p.m., North School Park, Eastman St. & Arlington Heights Rd., Arlington Heights.
- TONY BENNETT at Ravinia Festival, Friday, 8:30p.m.Ravinia Park, just North of Lake Cook on Green Bay Rd. in Highland Park. Mary Chapin Carpenter, Sunday, 7:30p.m.
- LUKE BRYAN at First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre, Saturday, 7:30p.m.19100 S. Ridgeland, Tinley Park.
- The Boulevard, August 24-26, Logan Square.
- Bucktown Arts Fest, August 25-26, Bucktown.
- Clark After Dark, August 23rd.
- First-ever End-of-Summer Barbecue featuring the city’s most talked about eateries, Wednesday, August 22, at 7pm. on the Chicago Public Media terrace at Navy Pier, 848 E. Grand Avenue, offering a prime view of the Navy Pier Fireworks starting at 9:30pm. $35 per person. Contact: BBQ@soundopinions.org.
- Chicago Dancing Festival. August 20-25, 2012, multiple downtown venues.
- Chicago Jazz Festival. August 30-September 2., 2012, Chicago Cultural Center, Millennium Park, Grant Park.
- Food Truck Social, August 25 and 26, 1200 N. Milwaukee.
- The Will County Fair, August 22 through August 26. Peotone.