CHICAGO, Wednesday, July 25, 2012. Although the 34th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival is still over a month away, jazz fans can turn up the volume with a series of pre-festival events at the Neighborhood Nights performances listed here.
- Magic Carpet at the Garfield Park Conservatory, 100 N. Central Park Ave. at 6 p.m. on Saturday, July 28.
- The Bethany Pickens Band at the National Museum of Mexican Art, 1852 W. 19th, at 6 p.m. on Friday, August 17.
- The Sunday Evening Jazz Series at The Old Town School of Folk Music, every Sunday, July 29 through August 26 at 6:30 p.m. in Szold Hall, 4544 N. Lincoln Avenue. Line-up:
- July 29 Henry Johnson Quartet;
- August 5 Havana: A tribute to Richie Pillot;
- August 15 Dennis Luxion / Michael Raynor Quartet;
- August 19 Neal Alger's Blue Note Quartet;
- August 26 Josh Berman and His Gang.
The Jazz Festival opens Thursday, August 30 through Sunday, September 2 in Grant Park with four stages of free performances. Headliners for the Fest include Roy Haynes, Dianne Reeves and Allen Toussaint. For more information call (312) 744-3316 or visit www.explorechicago.org.