It's beginning to look a lot like the holiday season. One tradition, for many families, is a visit to the land of sugarplum fairies at one of the many area Nutcracker productions. Check out ten different possibilities below--from interactive, to traditional, to ice and canines.
The Joffrey Nutcracker.
1. If you are looking for tradition, the Joffrey Nutcracker may be just your ticket. The 120-minute performance features the entire Joffrey company in beautiful costumes, Tchaikovsky's score, and an extravagant set design. December 10 through December 26. Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University, 50 E. Congress Parkway. Tickets, Box Office, 50 E. Congress Parkway, Monday through Friday, noon to 6p.m. or Ticketmaster 800 982 2787.
2. The ninth annual Dance-Along Nutcracker at the Chicago Cultural Center offers an
interactive event where audience members of all ages are encouraged to dress in their finest holiday tutus and join the fun alongside professional dancers. December 5, 2010. Workshops: 11a.m. and 2p.m.; Performances noon and 3p.m. 78 E. Washington, Chicago.
Paws de deux in a Canine Nutcracker.
Tired of the traditional Nutcrackers? This 45-minute production will put a smile on your face with its 28 dancing and costumed therapy dogs and one human. Performances are on the following days and locations.
3. Saturday, November 20 at 2p.m. and 7p.m. at Glen Crest Middle School, 725 Sheehan Ave., Glen Ellyn.
4. Saturday, December 11 at 2 and 7p.m., Herrick Middle School, 4435 Middaugh Ave.. Downers Grove.
Tickets, $5, must be purchased in advance. www.pawsitivetherapy.com
The Salt Creek Ballet Nutcracker.
The Salt Creek Ballet featuring a cast of 65 local dancers and world-class guest artists will
perform at the following locations.
Saturday, December 4, 2010, 1p.m. and 5p.m., Paramount Theatre, 8 East
Galena Blvd., Aurora 630 723 24 65. Tickets: $30.50 adult/$24.50
6. Saturday, November 27 and 28, 1p.m. (Sunday performance includes "Sugar Plum Party). Hinsdale Central Auditorium, Hinsdale, IL. $15 to $25. 630 769 1199.
Saturday, December 11, 1 and 5p.m., Center for Performing Arts,
Governors State University, tickets, www.centertickets.net or 708 235
8. Saturday, December 18, 3p.m. and Sunday, December 19, 3p.m.
www.northshorecenter.org or 847 673 6300North Shore Center for
Performing Arts, Skokie,
Nutcracker on Ice.
9. This annual Nutcracker performance is put on by Robert Crown Center skating school students and competitive figure skaters. Friday, December 10, 7:30p.m., Saturday, December 11 at 2:30 and 7:30p.m. and Sunday, December 12 at 2:30p.m. Robert Crown Center, 1701 Main St. Evanston, Tickets, $8.50, general, $9.50 reserved. 847 448 8258.
The Barrington Youth Dance Ensemble Nutcracker.
This performance features over 100 area youth dancers, and an 18-foot
Mother Ginger, professional sets, costumes, music and lighting.
Barrington High School Auditorium. Matinees and evenings December 5, 6,
and 7. Tickets $27. 847 382 63333.
Filed under: Uncategorized