Because I'm HAPPY (thanks Pharrell Williams for this lilting, fun tune):
* Chicago Sky come back to the Victory column with an overtime win at home today against the New York Liberty - winning 105-100 in overtime. Congrats to Epiphanny Prince on a season-high 30 point effort, welcome back to Jessica Breland after overcoming a leg injury and scoring a career-high 22 points and Sloot, T. Young and Gatling on double digit scoring. This is more like it Sky - so glad to have you back where you belong - in the winner's circle. Piph gets the game ball again today - you are a scoring machine, lady, and we're glad you're on our team! GO SKY!!!
* HAPPY BIRTHDAY Chicago Sky Head Coach Pokey Chatman - what a great way to celebrate your birthday with a big win at home! WOO HOO.
* Congratulations to Chicago Sky superstar Elena Delle Donne for being honored today by the WNBA with the Dawn Staley Community Leadership Award for her inspirational off-the-court efforts. There isn't a more deserving player in my book after witnessing first-hand her work with the Special Olympics held at New Trier High School. WNBA President stated "the minute she joined the league, Elena has done everything possible to make a difference on the basketball court and in the community. She's a genuine role model in everything that she does." Well said and congrats Elena - Chicago loves you, too!
* Congratulations to my alma mater - the Warren Township High School Girls Softball team won the state championship - the Blue Devils wrapped up the Class 4A championship by beating Sandburg 8-4 in East Peoria. The championship is Warren's first in a girls team sport. You Go Girls!
* Congrats and good luck to USA Men's Soccer on winning yesterday against nemesis Ghana 2-1 - a great win and hopefully more to come in Brazil.
* Happy Retirement to WNBA'er Ruth Riley - a class act who spent some of her pro career right here in Chicago with the Sky. In her retirement announcement, the Notre Dame graduate who has won on nearly every stage possible in basketball from a NCAA Championship in 2001, to 2 WNBA championships with the Detroit Shock in 2003 and 2006, an Olympic gold medal and the 2010 EuroCup Championship. In a really neat wrap-up Riley stated "For all this game of basketball has given me, I humbly and gratefully sign off by saying “thank you” in the language of every country I have been blessed to play this game in! Gracias, Xièxiè, Paldies, Ευχαριστώ, 감사합니다, and Dziękuję." Best wishes Ruth - it was fun getting to know you a bit while you were with the Sky.
* Topping off this rather rainy hump day - both the Chicago Cubs and the Chicago White Sox WIN. This makes us HAPPY!
Filed under: Uncategorized