The Chicago Park District and The North Face invite families to dig into nature at Family Adventure Day from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on Saturday, June 1 at Northerly Island, 1521 S. Linn White Dr., on the Museum Campus. The event is admission free and will officially kick-off Chicago Wilderness’ Leave No Child Inside month.
Each year, thousands of children across the greater Chicago and northwest Indiana region participate in a variety of Leave No Child Inside activities that encourage them to get outside and experience nature, to benefit their health and foster a sense of stewardship of our natural resources.
Family Adventure Day will offer families the opportunity to explore the great outdoors on Northerly Island, focusing on nature activities such as fort building, kite flying, fishing, bike demos, and much more.
The following activities will be available:
- The North Face will also be on site to encourage people to get outdoors this summer. Visit their campsite and make smores around the campfire. All six tents will be raffled off at the event. Participants can compete for a chance to win.
- Discover native animals and catch bugs with the Cook County Forest Preserve.
- Beach clean up at 12th St. Beach led by the Shedd Aquarium.
- Build sand castles with Imagine Art Studios.
- Scale the climbing wall from Cliffhanger.
- Stay on target and learn archery with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.
- Use blankets, sticks, grass and more for fort building.
- The earth is the color palette for mud painting.
- The Fishin’ Guys provide free fishing instruction for kids ages six and up.
- Chicago West Community Music Center presents live music from the children’s string ensemble.
- Outdoor fun with REI.
- Binoculars are supplied for bird watching.
- Enjoy kite flying if there is enough wind.
- Meet live animals and learn the difference between a frog, toad and a turtle with educator David Stokes.
- Make seed necklaces with the Harvest Garden team.
For more information, call 312-742-PLAY. For more information on Leave No Child Inside month, visitwww.chicagowilderness.org.
Want to receive all School's Out posts delivered to your inbox? Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. This list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.