Ideally, kids would be able to run around and play outside all summer long. But this summer has had its share of both rainy and sweltering hot days. When the weather makes outdoor play impossible, I've been very grateful to have access to so many local indoor play spots where my kids can run around and expend all of that summer energy (while I enjoy coffee and a muffin).
Here are some of our favorite destinations for indoor play. Note that many of these businesses get very crowded when the weather is inclement so definitely visit the respective websites to learn more about admission procedures.
- Little Beans Cafe. My kids absolutely love it here. We pass by it nearly every day and one of them always asks if we can stop in to play. We especially love their newly-opened outdoor patio and ice cream shop (delish).
- Kookaburra Play Cafe. This newcomer is another fun and convenient indoor play option. The decor and play equipment has a stylish, minimalist look that contributes to the great vibe in this space.
- Family Grounds. Lakeview families love this coffee and play hybrid (which was the first local option that combined coffee and play --so genius). This spot is definitely geared towards the younger set (age 3 and under), but we have always found the staff to be super hands-on and welcoming.
- Pickle's Playroom. We are also big fans of this Lincoln Square coffee/play space. But this play spaces features a twist! Kids can also get their haircut here (again, such a genius idea to offer haircuts while the other kiddos play -- and mom can also grab a coffee). Be sure to check out the wall-mounted airplane that kids can operate from the control tower. Super cute.
- Explore and Much More. Although they don't have a cafe component, this business located in the Southport Corridor has lots of offer kids of all ages. Although it looks small from the outside, the space is actually quite big with varied offerings for everyone from babies up to age 10. The focus here is on educational activities (with some fun gross motor opportunities like a climbing wall added in). Plus, it is ridiculously clean (always a plus).
Am I missing any other indoor play favorites? Let us know if you have a recommendation.