Restore a Sailboat - October 2019

WelcomeWhat a really short summer. Since we got the boat back Labor Day weekend, every opportunity to sail was used, so projects didn't get much time.  Launching in early June, back in the shipyard in later October with 4 months and 3 weeks since we left, but then there were the 6 weeks out of the water in Charlevoix to get the new engine installed (30% of the "boating summer"), oof, I am owed a lot of time on the water!

Our finishes in races were either firsts or seconds, with one third place and one season title.  On its third attempt going to Mackinac Island, it finally made it across the finish line and in good position. It appears that all of this effort is beginning to pay off.

I keep separate worklists, one for summer and another for winter.  Now with the boat out of the water and preparing for the winter, I merged the two lists with 44 projects to go. I see light at the end of the tunnel and it is daylight. It'll be cool some day to go to the boat without lugging tool bags and parts, just step on and go sailing.

Even so, I continue to whack away at things that just aren't right.  If you haven't figured it out, I am a perfectionist. Some might say I have "OCD," but you need to understand that the so called "experts" in the OCD field named it wrong. It should have been called "CDO" so that the letters are in the right order (it's a joke, folks!).

In the meantime, I just keep chipping away at the work list.

277. Finally having sailed this boat for 62 hours around the clock in the Chicago Mackinac race, things showed up that need attention that weren't noticed before.   There is a cutout on the wall in the navigator's berth for storage.  However, when the boat is healing far, your back would go into the hole while you tried to sleep and with the edges of the opening  sharp cutting your back. Not like cutting for blood, just a sharp edge pressing in an oval on your back and hurting a lot.  I fashioned a board, tapering the edges, applying mahogany veneer on it, with cleats on the back, a little metal angle on the bottom to hold it up in position and now the hole is covered up!  Good sleep ahead.

BEFORE:

dsc02513

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AFTER:

dsc02546

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

278. We have a system to hang the running rigging, such as sheets and guys when we aren't using them and they dry out between uses.  However, we have had no system for the docklines and fender lines which we just drop into the lazarette laying in the bilge. Then to retrieve, you have to go arse up in the air to reach down into the lazarette to get them. One crew member always grimaces putting them away and pulling them out.  So I designed and built a peg system that should do the job.  I call it the "Pat Carlson Memorial Dock line and Fender line Holder" to honor that crew member.

BEFORE:
dsc02542

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AFTER:
dsc02543

279. I added eyelets on the side of the boom to hold 2nd reef line from dangling and getting in everyone's way.
280. Having made a new center hatch early in the season, the screen was no longer was right.  I made a new screen and installed it.
281. The electric motor under the head bowl is flaking paint. Wire brushed it, put drop cloth around it and painted it.
282. Marked the Fuel Dip Stick "22.5 Gal. Tank" and put lines on it to show where the tank is "full" by making some measurements.
283. The head vent hose goes through a hole out the side of the boat. The hose has a flared end on the outside of the boat. It is free floating. If the boat heels, water could go around the edge of the hose and into the boat. I use LifeCaulk to prevent water from coming into the boat this way.
284. At the base of the stairs is a rack for holding stuff. We store winch handles and sun tan lotion there. In this 4" X 12" space, the floor of it has a 1-1/2" hole that goes straight into the bilge. At least once I have dropped a screw, washer, bolt or nut that went through, and the bilge is inaccessible at this point.  I can't imagine what this hole was ever used for. Anyway, I filled the hole, and painted the floor of it semi-gloss black.

Clearly the projects are not as challenging or as complex as the past, with a little less than half of the remaining list cosmetic improvements.

Effort is made for winter storage such as emptying the head tank, emptying the water tank, filling the fuel tank to the top, reinstalling the boom crutch, install a crow's nest to hold the messenger cords that replace the halyards for the winter (to keep the halyards clean and UV protected), removed the protector from the mooring can and cleaned with 3M pad, put more spare AA batteries aboard, a new flame stick, washed the deck and topsides, removed the carbon monoxide detector, emptied the navigation table of no longer needed documents, install messenger cord to replace the halyards, removed the foodstuffs, drink and electronics for safekeeping and cold weather protection. These aren't "improvement projects" to list, they are just regular maintenance.  I have redone some original projects, or made modifications to them, but again they were checked off once before and tweaking them doesn't count!

The next owner is really going to enjoy this boat.

Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.

Filed under: Uncategorized

Leave a comment