Restore a Sailboat - June 2019

WelcomeMany of our friends already have their boats in the water and have done some races.

Where the boat is located in the shipyard, to get to the Lake it must travel through all of the downtown bridges of Chicago. On May 5 the crew departs with the Bridge Tenders at 9:30am opening each bridge, then closing it behind. One after another until the boat gets to the Randolph Street Bridge.  It won't open, the Bridge Tenders say there is "No power."  They believe the new building be constructed next to the bridge, cut the power cables to the bridge.  The boat sits for 3 hours waiting, when the Bridge Tenders call over the radio to report that they are U-turning the flotilla, and taking them back to their shipyard docks.  The boat arrives back at the shipyard at 4:30pm.

Discussion ensues to have the shipyard remove the mast and put it on the deck, motor under all of the bridges to the lakefront, and raise the mast with one of the four available mast raising cranes at yacht clubs in Chicago.  It's a lot of work, a lot of time, and we figured about $400.  For that money, the decision was made to wait until the next bridge lift on Saturday, June 8.  It also means that the boat will not be racing in its first scheduled race of the year on Saturday.

This did give us the weekend of June 1 & 2 to finish the remaining items on the work list.  The prior weekend, Memorial weekend, had lots of rain which impeded the progress significantly. I ended up going to the shipyard most nights after work during the prior week to assure the launch would occur.

250. I showed some pictures last fall as I started the project removing the rubrails permanently.  The purpose of the removal was to eliminate hidden leaks. Here is the completion of the project:

With rubrail removed, and screw holes filled with epoxy.

elevenridges
Next, using a 4-1/2" angle grinder with an abrasive wheel, I ground off the two fiberglass tiers sticking out the side of the boat.
elevenground

Next, I filled the trench with West Epoxy with the West purple filler powder.  Then with a "mini longboard" that held 1/3 of a sheet of 40 grit sandpaper, I sand it to get it faired, then a final coat of West Epoxy with filler, then final sanding with a 1/4 sheet palm sander with 80 grit sandpaper.  I made a sled that laid on the top of the rail screwed into a 2X2 that went down the side of the boat.  I drilled a hole the size of a pencil (snug) in the 2X2 at the right height, inserted the pencil then dragged the sled all the way around marking where the paint line goes between the eventual white paint and red paint.

dsc02541

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The white paint goes on down to the pencil line.

dsc02543

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The red paint goes on up to the pencil line.

dsc02548

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No more hidden leaks ever again!

dsc02549

251. Remaining wood in cockpit sanded with Cetol (a type of varnish) applied.
252. Old over-varnish removed from interior ceiling.
253. Crotch Straps installed on 7 inflatables PFDs.
254. Knotmeter at wheel calibrated with GPS to MPH (not knots).
255. There were cut off wires I wanted to trace out behind the switch panel.  I had the time to kill, traced them out and they were 1.5' long.  Removed them and tossed them.
256. Replaced frayed wire on alternator that mechanic in Milwaukee found.

257. Drilled hole and put a cotter pin in the paper towel holder so it doesn't fall apart every time you take a towel.  Tied some red yard on the pin, just pull it out, take the rod out, install a new paper towel roll, put the pin back in.

258. Bleached the fridge, then lacquer thinned the fridge, then Soft Scrubbed the fridge.  Sparkling shiny new, clean and fresh!

259. Purged the water tank 5 times: 2 fresh water; 2 with bleach; 1 with fresh water.  Water from tank tastes great.  Put in enough water for washing hands, brushing teeth, after pots and dishes washed in sea, can be final rinsed in galley sink with clean water.
260. The gasket material for the hatches West Marine sells, sticks like glue on the surface that shouldn't stick.  As with the windows in my house they recommend using silicone, I wiped silicone on the gaskets on both hatches.  Now opens easily.
261. Removed remaining varnish in cockpit that could not be reached over the winter.
262. Had to re-set the kingpin on the steering wheel after Larsen Marine Services re-did things to rudder.
263. I had on my list for the coming winter to replace the Polycarbonate on the two hatches. As luck would have it, I dropped the boomvang pipe on the big hatch, splitting the plastic in half, and the rain water pours in.  Upon removing the 43 year old crystalized Polycarbonate, it is clear that the wood frame has splits on three of the four boards.  So I make a completely new hatch from scratch using the old one as a pattern.
mainhatch

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Launch day June 3.  I asked the shipyard to put 2X4s under the straps to hold the straps away from the fresh red paint that was about 18 hours old.

dsc02552

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lookin' good, so I'm told.

dsc02554

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next owner is really going to enjoy this boat.

Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.

Filed under: Uncategorized

Leave a comment