Restore a Sailboat - April 2019

WelcomeNeeding days that are 50-degrees and higher 24 hours around the clock to wash down dust, paint, varnish, caulk, epoxy, this is the month to get things done. Well, on my last work weekend of the month, on Saturday it snowed all day with an inch of snow on the boat cover, and Sunday ice pellets were hitting me as I loaded my car.

228.  Even though I spent an inordinate amount of time cleaning the cockpit floor, it is the worst looking thing on the boat today.  There are 10 places where something dropped making spider web cracks 5" in diameter, and I think attempts were made to pour some sort of fine epoxy on the cracks amplifying their crappy look.  So I sanded off the non-skid on the floor and painted with KiwiGrip.  On the sides next to the rudder post there was no non-skid before. I added non-skid to those areas to remove a potential place for people to slip and fall.

dsc02499

dsc02500

dsc02506

229. There are three interlocking hatch boards, watching people put them in is like watching people build a puzzle.  It is easy to put one or more in backwards, only to find out it doesn't work and the hatch wont close.  I put what I call a "racing stripe" back on the front of the hatch boards.  It takes the guess out of how to install.
230. I added a little fiberglass under the two lazarette hatches, then sanded it over the winter.  It got warm enough one day to painted the gray under the hatches.
231. I painted white on the new tabbing in the head, under the navigators berth, and aft cubby under starboard berth.  The tabbing had pulled away, so I removed it last fall, and fiberglassed in new tabbing.

232. While preparing the cockpit floor for painting sanding off the non-skid, I bumped the gas filler flange and it moved easily meaning it leaks water into the interior of the boat.  I put caulk with spacers under the gas filler flange and let dry overnight, removed the spacers the next day and filled those spots with caulk.  No more leak and no more movement of the flange.

233. Added gasket material around engine gauge display (I had found the perfect gasket material at an estate sale).  While a leak spot, it wouldn't have leaked much water in a rain storm, but now it shouldn't even have a drip.
234. There is some 5-minute White epoxy in drawer on the boat, that is a close color to the white areas on the edges of the cockpit.  I mixed a little adding Xylol as a thinner and with a small paintbrush painted the knicks and gouges around the cockpit.  This cockpit is going to look great with the work done to it.
235. Then I KiwiGripped the scrapes, varnish drops, epoxy drops and anything else that didn't look like paint around the whole entire deck.  The deck looks quite a bit like a tiger with all of the spots now.  Once the deck is cleaned and some UV is on it, I am sure the color difference will even out and look good.
236. I re-installed the main hatch that I rebuilt over the winter (one plank had split, and was a master carpenters job to replace), and then I added a foam gasket on the front fiberglass ridge adding layers until the hatch closes just the right amount.  We had waves go across the deck last year, go under the front edge of the hatch, hit the fiberglass wall under the hatch, shoot up and over right down below.  This gasket effort ought to stop that from happening.  I had waxed the wood that slides on the aluminum rails, and it is unbelievable how easy it is to open and close this very heavy hatch now.
237. I added shockcord, using hooks and hogrings for the two aft snatchblocks.  These snatchblocks hold the spinnaker sheets, in light air, in bouncy waves, these snatch blocks go "Clunk" onto the deck with each wave which is an annoyance.  The shockcord eliminates the annoyance.

 

The next owner is really going to enjoy this boat.

Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.

Filed under: Uncategorized

Leave a comment