Restore a Sailboat - October 2018

WelcomeSeptember got busy racing other boats which is pretty common now a days.  Most sailboat racers have many options to race, and don't focus on just one boat any longer.  So in October time frees up to start working on this 42 year old Ericson 35 Mark II.

179. Put labels on the steering pedestal to explain the engine controls:  Forward/Neutral/Reverse, and Fast/Slow.  This helps as "Fast" you pull back on the throttle, and "Slow" you push forward on the throttle.  Future project for me to reverse this?

180. Found that one of the prior owner crimps near the switch panel for the navigation lights had come apart.  Put a new crimp on the wires, navigation lights work once again.

181. Got gasket material for the lazarette hatches and installed it.  No more water will come through these.

182. The Oil pressure gauge needle would bounce around for a while and then go to zero. Upon inspection of the backside of the gauge panel, one of the three wires to the oil gauge was all burnt and burned through.  It was probably burnt before and I just didn't notice it when I replaced the starting switch wire this spring.  I replaced the wire, turned the engine on, the oil pressure read a solid 30 while the engine ran for 20 minutes and didn't fluctuate.  I also touched the wires feeling for temperature the whole time, all wires remained cool.

183. Having removed the clasps to lock the lazarette hatches, there is nothing now to open them with.  I install a cloth tab to open the hatch.

We moved the boat from the harbor, through the Chicago Lock, through all of the downtown bridges and to the shipyard in the South branch of the Chicago River for winter storage.  Next is preparing the boat for winter storage:

  • Masthead electronics removed.
  • Mainsail bagged.
  • Cleared the galley foodstuffs, removed the electronics, etc. and loaded into the car.
  • I put the messenger cord onto the shackles of the halyards and raised them to the top of the mast so 1/2 of the halyard is inside the mast, the other half is coiled up in the cockpit. Once the shrink wrap is on the boat, almost all of the halyard is then protected from dirt and UV.  I made a Crows Nest of plywood I mounted at the top of the spinnaker track, about 1-1/2' X 3'. Then drilled 3 holes on the front and one on the back.  The messenger cords are tied to these holes to: A. Keep the messenger from rubbing on the mast, and, B. have the messenger cords above the shrink wrap, as I could just see the shrink wrap torch hitting any messenger cord breaking it and losing it inside the mast.
  • I got two 2X4's to hold up the back end of the boom.  Then honked down on the mainsheet. I forseee the shrink wrap going over the end of the boom (with the mainhalyard attached to the crows nest and leaving the end of the boom clear).  Later I will take the vang off the boom and let the spring inside of it stretch out over the winter.
  • The remaining cushions that weren't recovered last spring, are getting recovered this winter, I bring them off the boat and later transfer to my sister's vehicle.
  • Scrubbed the seaweed off of the mooring can protector.

I have 48 tasks for the winter and have begun on the hardest and longest task.  After removing the rubrail a few months ago, we just put a piece of white duct tape around the boat to dress it so it looked alright.  There are two 1/2" fiberglass ridges sticking out the side of the boat that the rubrail covered.  Grinding off these fiberglass ribs is slow and arduous.  After three hours, about a 12' length was ground.  That means it will take another 15 hours to grind off the remaining.  After that comes the filling, sanding and painting.  I hope to get it "paint ready" before the shrink wrap goes on the boat, so on a warm spring day we put the paint on then

The next owner is really going to enjoy this boat.

Filed under: Uncategorized

Leave a comment