You go through each week, getting by, working hard, chasing after things when suddenly your home and your business are gone. FEMA and the U.S. Army are in your neighborhood delivering water and food. MASH like units are set up down the street to take care of the injured. Category 5 hurricanes are known to be worse in power and devastation than a nuclear bomb.
The Virgin Islands were walloped twice, the first with Hurricane Irma, and shortly after, Hurricane Maria (both Category 5, the worst) plowed right through. What do you do with 1.1 million cubic yards of debris? These are small Islands, you can't truck or train car them to some distant point. It's one thing to say, "they had insurance" (which some do, and other's don't) but it is the loss of employment, the loss of wages that is hurting them more at this point.
Their economies are based on tourism, while commercial air flights have been restored, hotels re-opened, store shelves restocked, the work of repair and restoration will take a long time.
When and Where:
Friday November 17, 2017, 7pm - 10pm.
3655 North Sheffield Avenue
Chicago, IL 60613
- Open Bar, Heavy Appetizers, Live Reggae
- Silent Auction and Raffle
The British and US Virgin Islands are not only a winter oasis for travelers seeking the beautiful weather and sights. The Islands are home to the incredibly warm and hospitable people who live and work there. They embody the beauty and spirit of the Virgin Islands that keeps travelers, sailors and people from all over the world coming back year after year. The Chicago Sailing Community is gathering together in an effort to aid, rebuild and restore these beautiful communities. Join us to help Turn The Tide!
Raffle and Silent Auction:
- Grand Prize for the Silent Auction and Raffle items. Barb and Steve Brasier Gives a week’s stay in their Private Beach Cottage on Beautiful St John USVI! 2BR/2BA of ultra private luxury accommodations on one of the few totally private beaches in the Virgin Islands. (Value $5000)
- A Gift Card valued at $300 to Weber Steakhouse
- A Weber Q 3200 Gas Grill! (MSRP $499)
- Gift Cards to fantastic Restaurants, Beautiful Artwork, and so much more
- One Seat in Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club Crew Training Program
- Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club Swag
- Vienna Beef Gave 4 Tickets to the Chicago Bulls vs Golden State Warriors on January 17th, in the Harris Club at the United Center. All Food and Drinks included along with a Parking Pass (Value $1600)
- Vienna Beef Gave Ultimate Chicago Lover's Gift Package - shipping anywhere in the the USA! (Value $200)
- Quantum Sails Gave a 1 day of sailing coaching
- Swift and Sons American Steakhouse $100 Gift Card
- Columbia Sailing School Gives Safe Powerboat Handling class sanctioned by US Powerboating. It is a 16-hour entry level certification, students will learn on boats ranging from 13-22’ in length. Students must be over the age of 15 to participate. ($600 Value)
- Pettit Marine Paint gives the fastest, high performance, antifouling paint for your sailboat including two Gallons of Black Widow and 12 quarts of SR-21
- Pettit Marine also gives Pettit Marine gear
- The talented artist Alina K Dix work Gives:
-A commissioned custom nautical work, 2'x3', of Winner's Pick
-Nautical small prints
- Forno Rosso Italian Kitchen and Bar gives $100 Gift Certificate
- Offshore Adventures Gave a two hour cruise for six people on the J/35 Alpha Puppy in DuSable Harbor
- John Baxter from Doyle Sails Gives a day of coaching, rig tuning, racing strategy and team building with him on your boat and Doyle swag
- The Lyric Opera of Chicago gives 2 main floor tickets for "The Pearle Fishers"
- Skyway Yacht Works Gives one year of outdoor boat storage in their yard
- Joe Kestler Gives a piece of 32" wire sculptor art, "Star Catcher".
- Jack Schwartz Importer and Eric Provost Give the gift of a humidor, cigars, and accessories
- Vin Chicago and Peter Schwarzbach Gives a "sneak preview wine tasting for ten"
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP and Patrick Harrigan for donating a suite to a Chicago White Sox game with a $500.00 food and beverage credit
- Murphys Bleachers and Murphy's Rooftop Company Gives four tickets to watch the Chicago Cubs from their rooftop including ballpark food, beverages & the view.
- Chicago Yacht Club and Dwight Jenson Gives a Sunday Brunch for six with mimosas
- Motorola and Tyler Woodworth Gives some awesome tech and electronics:1- MotoG4play- unlocked smartphone for all carriers about $150
1- MotoG - GSM unlocked smartphone for AT&T about $150
2- Moto360 Smartwatches - 1 leather band, 1 Metal Band - works with android and iOS: about $150 each
2- Motorola Boom bluetooth earpieces about $75 each
1- Motorola buds wireless bluetooth headphones: about $50
1- MotoHint wireless earbud headset about $50
- North Sails Gives a Gear Basket and One Day of On-the-Water Coaching by Qualified North Coaching Personnel (possibly a One Design World Champion)
- Adidas and Peter Shuster Gives $100.00 gift card
- Chicago Match Race Center and Tod Reynolds Gives foul weather gear and technical clothing
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater and Associate Producer Heather Schmucker Gives 2 Tickets to the performance of "Red Velvet" running from December 1st-January 21st
- Virtu for and Julie Horowitz Jackson Gives a beautiful birdseye maple cheeseboard by Ed Wohl and mango wood cheese knives
- Gemini Chicago Gives a four course chef tasting menu with wine pairings to Turn the Tide
- An autographed Chicago Blackhawks Jersey
- William Tait Gives a 4 night stay at his beautiful 4 bdrm / 2.5 ba cottage on White Lake
- Dominic Irpino and Irpino Real Estate Gives a Powerboat Fireworks Cruise
- Thuzio Executive Club Gives an autographed Ozzie Guillen
- Theory Sports Bar and Grill and Joel Sorinsky Gives $200.00 in gift certificates
- William McGuinn Gives Chicago Bears tickets
- Coda Di Volpe Gives a wonderful evening with a 4 course chef tasting menu for two people
- Sarah Basel, Peter Nielsen, and Tom McDonough Gives an evening sailboat cruise with food and drink on Stella
- The North Face Gives a North Face Base Camp Duffel
- The Steppenwolf Theatre Company Gives two tickets to a performance in the 2017-18 season
- Chicago Sailing and Graham Sauser Gives two wonderful prizes:-A fireworks cruise charter for 6 people
-One week of youth sailing
- Columbia Yacht Club Gives a custom wine dinner for four at their club
- American Blues Theater Gives two vouchers to their Blue Card Subscription Series
- Carolyn Aronson Gives two beautiful jewelry sets
- Alina Dix Gives more, now Caribbean artwork
- Line Honors gives:
- -"Caribbean Yacht Racing Tech Shirts / Tee Shirts
-Musto Sardinia Jacket (1-XL & 1-XXL)
-Line Honor Belts
-Line Honors Hats
- Crowleys Yacht Yard, Grant Crowley and Nick Fugate Gives sailing gear from SLAM & Henri Lloyd, as Gift Certificates to the Crowley's Booths at the 2018 Strictly Sail Show, to pick out the best gear from Helly Hansen, Kaenon, Sperry, Mustang, safety gear, and their closeout booth Each certificate comes with 2 Free Passes to the Boat Show
- The Shedd Aquarium Gives (2) Sets of (4) Admission Tickets to the Shedd Aquarium!!!
Tickets are good for express entry to the Aquarium, Abbott Oceanarium, and Wild Reef. Also includes Amphibians, Aquatic show (based on availability) and Stingray Touch (seasonal)
- The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago Gives 4 admission passes to the Museum as well as an MCA Stage Gift Certificate good for (2) tickets to one of their upcoming theatrical shows performing in January 2018 - April 2018
- Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club Gives a 4 week Adult Sailing School Lesson in the summer of 2018
- Drew's on Halsted Gives 2 Tickets to Blue Man Group, 3 Course Theater menu for 2 at Drew's on Halsted and Free Parking
- Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club Junior Fleet Gives 2 memberships to their Junior Fleet Learn to Sail Program
- Windy City Kite Sports Gives a 4 hour lesson, including rental gear on kiteboarding
- PTM Werks Inc. and Patrick McBriarty Gives an autographed book set:-Children's Books - Airplanes, Drawbridges, City Railways and
-Chicago Drawbridgek DVD
- Vina Robles Vineyards & Winery Gives:1 Magnum Vina Robles Estate Cabernet
1 Magnum Vina Robles Estate Petite Sirah
2 bottles Vina Robles WHITE4
2 bottles Vina Robles RED4
2 Vina Robles hats
- $55 Advance Purchase-First 100 Advance Ticket purchases receive event souvenir and one raffle ticket
- $65 At the Door
- Confirm your attendance on Facebook
Can you or your business help with Sponsorship?
- The "Admiral Level", includes an Island Photo Booth to capture social media from guests the entire night
- Silver and Bronze Level
- Beer Sponsor
- Rum/Hard Liquor Sponsor (with some fun island drink specials!)
- Silent Auction and Raffle MVPs
Please direct any inquiries or those happy to help...
to Brendan Walsh
Yeah, I know it is at the famous Cub's hangout "Murphy's Bleachers." This is one time that Sox, Cardinals and even Packers fans are welcome with open arms! We'll see you there.
Filed under: Uncategorized