I never thought I'd be at such a loss for words in my life. You'd think for a lifelong Blackhawk fan, writing a blog after they win the Stanley Cup would be easy. It's not.
As I found myself thinking about what to write, and what to say, my mind kept scanning the last decade plus of being a Hawks fan.
Do I write about how far we've come? Do I write about how bad it was? Do I wax poetic about "what it means to me?"
Last night, at 2am when I was rocking my baby to sleep, I started writing down moments, good and bad, on the back of an envelope.
I think maybe sharing those notes might be the best thing to do, so here it goes, in the exact order I wrote it.
- Remember Jeremy Roenick's last game as a Hawk? The Avalanche had just eliminated the Hawks in the 1995-96 playoffs, and although Bill Wirtz said JR would be a "Hawk for life", fans just knew he wouldn't be back. He took the ice alone to pay his respects to the UC crowd.
- Remember Alpo Suhonen?
- Remember when Jonathan Toews scored on his first NHL shot vs the San Jose Sharks? Mario Lemieux did that too.
- Remember Pure Platinum?
- Remember Brian Sutter putting Tyler Arnason in a choke hold on a road trip in Nashville?
- Remember when the A-B-C line was the reason to believe for the Hawks? All 3, Tyler Arnason, Mark Bell, and Kyle Calder, are out of the league now.
- Remember Mike Smith? For all of his mistakes, he drafted Duncan Keith, Adam Burish, Brent Seabrook, and Dustin Byfuglien. He also drafted James Wisniewski, Tuomo Ruutu (who became Andrew Ladd), and Craig Anderson, who almost single handedly got the Avalanche into the playoffs.
- Remember when Steve Sullivan was the best player on the Blackhawks?
- Remember when Chris Chelios accepted a trade to the Red Wings, when he swore he'd never play there? Screw him.
- Remember when Chelios strutted the Red Wings' Cups all over town? Screw him.
- Remember when Rocky Wirtz took over? All we hoped for was home games on TV.
- Remember Bob Pulford?
- Remember when the Hawks signed Chris Gratton, but it didn't go through because of a "smudged fax?"
- Remember this?
- Remember when Steve Poapst was the Hawks' most reliable defenseman?
- Remember when the Blackhawks selected Patrick Kane instead of Kyle Turris?
- Remember when the Blues and Penguins passed on Jonathan Toews?
- Remember when Kim Johnsson was alive?
- Remember Marian Hossa's Hawks debut, or "Hossa day?"
- Remember when Toews passed the Cup to Hossa?
- Remember when Pat Foley was let go, and Dan Freakin' Kelly was brought in?
- Remember when Pat Foley ripped Alexander Karpovtsev?
- Remember the God forsaken "Town Hall Meeting"? Mike North emceed an event at the United Center where fans could ask questions of Alpo Suhonen, Mike Smith, and Peter Wirtz? I think Alpo slept through most of it.
- Remember when Tuomo Ruutu was the "next Forsberg?"
- Remember when Jonathan Toews was the best player for Team Canada's All Star roster in the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games?
- Remember how Dan Carcillo was going to be the Flyer who single handedly beat the Hawks? Ha!
- Remember how the Hawks couldn't win a thing with these goalies?
- Remember Patrick Kane's hat trick vs the Canucks last year?
- Remember how few things satisfy like watching Roberto Luongo cry?
- Remember the outrage when Marty Havlat wasn't signed?
- Remember the outrage when Denis Savard was fired?
- Remember how excited you were about Theo Fleury and Doug Gilmour?
- Remember when Bill Wirtz gave Red Wings tour groups "first dibs" at tickets?
- Remember when games vs the Red Wings were 60% Red Wings fans?
- Remember the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals? Mario Lemieux is good.
- Remember when Dustin Byfuglien crushed Chris Pronger?
- Remember when seeing Scotty Bowman lift the Cup didn't make you sick?
- Remember Jeremy Roenick's tears watching the Blackhawks lift the Cup?
- Remember the worst overtime game winning goal in Stanley Cup history?
- ...and remember when it didn't matter to you?
- Remember when the "One Goal" was reached?
Filed under: Antti Niemi, ben eager, Blackhawks, brent seabrook, Chicago Sports, chris chelios, Cristobal Huet, danny mac show, dave bolland, duncan keith, dustin byfuglien, hockey, James Wisniewski, jay zawaski, joel quenneville, john madden, jonathan toews, kim johnsson, kris versteeg, marian hossa, martin havlat, NHL, nhl playoffs, Nick Boynton, Patrick Kane, patrick kane mullet, patrick sharp, philadelphia flyers, slovak traditions, sports, Stanley Cup Champions, stanley cup finals, troy brouwer, wscr
Tags: antti niemi, ben eager, blackhawks, brent seabrook, chicago sports, chris chelios, cristobal huet, danny mac show, dave bolland, duncan keith, dustin byfuglien, hockey, james wisniewski, jay zawaski, joel quenneville, john madden, jonathan toews, kim johnsson, kris versteeg, marian hossa, martin havlat, NHL, nhl playoffs, nick boynton, patrick kane, patrick kane mullet, patrick sharp, philadelphia flyers, slovak traditions, Sports, stanley cup champions, stanley cup finals, troy brouwer, wscr