Check out these hot events for this weekend. My featured event is the Chicago Westside Music Festival on Saturday. Make sure to grab your chair and your red cup and hit the streets. #SummerTimeChi!
Friday, August 15th:
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater presents A Midsummer Night's Dream: South Shore Cultural Center (7059 S. South Shore Drive) @ 630pm, FREE
- Steppin Under the Stars: DuSable Museum (740 East 56th Place) @ 6-10pm, $5 Suggested Donation
- Bronzeville Art District Trolley Tour: Gallary Guichard (446 E. 47th Street) and various art galleries @6-10pm, FREE
Saturday, August 16th:
- Chicago Westside Music Festival: Garfield Park (corner of Jackson and Central Park); musical acts include 112, Brownstone, Aniba Hotep & the Sol Collective, and Terisa Griffin @ 12Noon-8pm, FREE
- Movies in the Park, "20 Feet From Stardom", "20 Feet From Stardom": DuSable Museum (740 East 56th Place) @ Dusk, FREE
- World Basketball featuring Team USA vs. Team Brazil: United Center @ 8pm, $25
Sunday, August 17th:
- Sunday Bottomless Mimosas/Bellinis Brunch: Fleetwood (2333 S. Michigan Ave.) @ 10am-4pm
- Sunday Funday:The Bar 10 Doors (1259 W. Taylor) @ 2-9pm, No Cover
- Summerdance Salsa: Spirit of Music Garden in Grant Park (601 S. Michigan Ave.) @ 4-5pm for dance lessons / 5-7pm for live music and dancing, FREE
- Taylor Street Festa Italiana: Taylor Street at Ashland @12noon-11pm, $5 Suggested Donation
- Chicago Air & Water Show: (rehearsal Friday, August 15) North Avenue Beach, Saturday & Sunday 10am-3pm, FREE
- World Basketball Festival: 63rd Street Beach (Free Shuttle from 63rd & Stony Island), Friday and Saturday
Want more suggestions? Click here for the ultimate guide to Black Chicago's 2014 Summer Events.
THE CHICAGO WESTSIDE MUSIC FESTIVAL
Saturday, August 16th
On Saturday, the Westside will be the Best Side in Chicago thanks to the 3rd Annual Chicago Westside Music Festival (WSMF) which seeks to create a series of musical concerts that are FREE to the community and that establish the Westside as a destination for music and summer festival fun. The Chicago Westside Music Festival was created to fill the void of cultural programming and outlets on the Westside of Chicago and draw audiences from both local and citywide communities.
In the inaugural year, the WSMF formed a partnership with the Chicago Park District, Parkways Foundation received a grant from The Chicago Community Trust to support the development, planning, implementation and evaluation of the Chicago Westside Music Festival.This event gets bigger and better ever year.
Here's what you need to know:
-There will be a fabulous showcase of some of Chicago's best talent including DJ David Shields, La Obra, Aniba Hotep and the Sol Collective (a Red Cup Adventure favorite), Aryk Chowder, Charles Buddy Love, Em Jai, Norris EF, Tina Jenkins Crawley, and Terisa Griffin.
-Headline artists are Brownstone backed by Chicago's own house band Zzaje, and Double Platinum R&B Group 112. (Insert a medley of "Only You", "Cupid", and "Peaches & Cream." #TakeThat #BadBoys #iHeartThe90s
-Bring your chair. Pack a picnic basket or purchase food on-site. No grills or fire will be allowed in the general audience area. Designated area for tents only so get there early to get a spot.-There will be a MillerCoors beer garden for adult libations.
-Enter Garfield Park at Jackson Blvd. & Central Park Ave. Free street parking or take public transportation: Jackson #126, Madison #20, Green Line (Central Park stop)
This will be a full day of amazing Chicago talent, great R&B music, food and family fun. You don't want to miss the 3rd Annual Westside Music Festival. Get your Red Cups and meet me there!
Join the "Red Cup Adventures" page on Facebook.
If you enjoyed this blog, type your email address in the box, click the "create subscription" button, and sign-up for my blog alerts. The list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time. Thanks!