Ever have those days that make you feel like your mind is about to explode, your skin may rip in two, and your tolerance for other human beings is put to the test?
Yea, me too.
Some days, I can barely understand myself, much less others. So when I feel like I’m about to go completely apeshit, I rely on the following:
1. Friends – I’m lucky enough to surround myself with friends I know I can call on at any time of the day and scream “SAVE ME!” And they usually do, just by listening to me vent, either by phone, text or social media. The locals meet up with me in person. Some have offered me shelter for the evening. They don’t judge, they don’t question. They just...are there. In all their awesome unjudginess. And that is the best gift in the world.
2. A good glass of wine. Or three – Sometimes we all need to get out of our heads and revert to whatever comfort world we need to escape to. Wine helps that journey. If you are someone like me, who spends their entire life in control of every aspect, it’s nice to relinquish that control and just Be. If only for a moment.
3. Music – Sound can be the most empowering of all the senses. Everything we hear holds a place in our memory, and, eventually, a place in our heart. When I’m feeling bad, I tend to regress to the 80’s. This was a very safe, comfortable time in my life, filled with many fond memories of my adolescent years. Before marriage, kids, mortgages, responsibilities, life. Sometimes we need to rewind the clock in order for us to gain the strength to move forward. Music can bring us back to our Happy Place. And that is an awesome place to be.
4. Great makeup, fierce hair and a rockin’ bra – Nothing can boost my confidence like a face full of perfectly applied makeup, hair that cooperates, and a bra that makes The Girls look amazingly close to perfect. Superficiality doesn’t interest me. But I do know that when I make an effort to look the best I can, I feel more confident in myself. I’m a big believer in doing whatever you need to do to make you feel empowered. If that means slapping on a swipe of lipstick and throwing on some Spanx to suck in that Mama belly that I’ve earned, then goddamn, do it!
5. A sense of humor – I feel the biggest gift we can give ourselves is forgiveness, and the ability to laugh at ourselves. I never take myself seriously, because once I do, I’ll become one of those pretentious, self-absorbed people I loathe. I’m not perfect, never claimed to be. But I do know that I’m one hell of a mom and wife, and I work really hard to be both. Yet I’m never afraid to take a step back and call myself a dork. I’m still like everyone else, trying to figure all this shit out.
Would you like to get updates on new blog posts?
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: Uncategorized