Republicans, Be Careful What You Wish For!

I should imagine Mitch McConnell and his merry band of character assassins are still recovering from a champagne hangover this morning.  After all, they managed to finagle the rules of the game in such a way as to manipulate one of their agents onto the Supreme Court.  What a powerful sense of accomplishment they must be feeling right about now as they contemplate  life with a Supreme Court safely ensconced in their hip pocket.  No longer will they have to concern themselves about a bunch of constitutional spoil sports standing in the way of their imposing their agenda on this country.

It would appear from Mitch McConnell's point of view that God is indeed in the heavens and all's right with the world.  The esteemed Senate Majority Leader either has or is about to tie a big red bow around the entire federal judiciary,  delivering it to the Republican Party without so much as a whimper coming from the Democrats and their allies.  How sweet it must be.  It's almost a perfect set-up.

Well, it's perfect if you buy into the idea that the country overwhelmingly supports the Republican Party's blueprint for America's future.  I have my doubts on the subject.  For instance, it would be good for Republicans to remember that over fifty-two percent of the American voting public are women.  How is this significant?  I'm not sure that the majority of women are anxious to see Roe v. Wade overturned, returning us to the good old days of wire hangers and botched abortions.  And yet, that's exactly the gamble that Mitch McConnell and Senate Republicans took when they placed Brett Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court.  Susan Collins might be totally convinced that Brett Kavanaugh sees Roe v. Wade as "established law", but that doesn't necessarily make it so.  For all we know, Senator McConnell and his Republican colleagues may have opened the door to a whole new restrictive era of women's reproductive rights, not only encompassing abortion but access to birth control as well.  That may not be the key to opening the door to a new Republican Golden Age!

Another of the keystones for most Republicans nowadays is climate change denial.  There are legions of Republicans out there who are highly skeptical when the discussion turns around to the environment.  That's why there are so many law suits in our federal judiciary seeking to make environmental regulations declared unconstitutional.  The attitude of a LOT of Republicans regarding our environment is that's it's foolish to try to keep our air and water clean, that it's a fool's errand and one that shouldn't be entered lightly if at all.  It costs business too much money and it muddies the waters of the marketplace with a lot of damn fool regulations.  My question is, does this position reflect the point of view of today's young voters?  Will our youngest voters and their millennial brothers and sisters be willing to accept rampant growth in cases of asthma and COPD as the price they will have to pay for conservative judicial activism with regard to the environment?  Do today's young voters embrace laissez-faire, free market deregulation that will ultimately destroy pro-environment legislation?  That remains to be seen.

What this all comes down to is accountability.  When you control ALL the reins of government, you have to take responsibility for the government you produce.  The late heavyweight champ, Joe Louis, said it best: "You can run but you can't hide!".  For the foreseeable future we will be living in a world devised and implemented by Republicans.  Their ideas will dominate American government, one way or another, either legislatively or judicially.  Maybe we'll LIKE the results.  Perhaps the Republicans HAVE ushered in a new Golden Age of Republican political dominance! We'll find out soon enough.  Unless the up-coming mid-term elections produce earth shattering change, we will be living under Donald Trump's thumb for quite some time to come.  It may wound the American political system for more years than we'll care to remember, perhaps do so permanently.  And what will make that wound all the more grievous is the fact that it was self-inflicted!

Filed under: Politics

Comments

Leave a comment
  • "Perhaps the Republicans HAVE ushered in a new Golden Age of Republican political dominance"

    Seriously? When was the last time a Republican won the popular vote?

    Did you notice that about 20% of the population chooses leaders who make decisions contrary to the wishes of the other 80%?

    One thing Trump was right about, it's a rigged system.

    Between gerrymandering, the electoral college and voter suppression, the GOP has been chasing the Supreme Court for decades.

    PS Go easy on the exclamation points, Donald.

Leave a comment