You may think that you are watching your pet, but it only takes a second for them to gobble up something they are not supposed to eat. One way to avoid trouble is to know what items put your pet at risk and practice pet poison prevention. That should keep your pet out of danger and out of the pet emergency room.
In 2011 alone, the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center fielded 165,000 calls, most of which involved pets that had taken human prescriptions. This week is National Poison Prevention Week to build awareness about items that are a danger. There are many everyday items in our home that trigger bad reactions for our pets. If you’d like to stay ahead of the game on pet poison prevention, keep these out of their reach.
- Medications – Acetaminophen, which is found in Tylenol, can cause liver damage and cats are more susceptible than dogs. One 325 mg tablet can lead to ulcers and anemia and could be fatal to a cat. Ibuprofen can trigger liver and kidney failure in pets and most prescription drugs can trigger problems if ingested. Also keep pet meds out of their reach since pets may overdose on those as well.
- People food – Chocolate can be fatal to pets with dark chocolate having the potential for the highest risk. Avocado, Grapes, raisins, currents, onions, garlic, leeks, chives and macadamia nuts are all bad news for your pets. Unbaked bread, which can expand in your pet’s stomach, also poses risks. Moldy foot also is very dangerous for pets to ingest.
- Cleaning and lawn products – Household cleaners, bleach, drain cleaners, anything with ammonia, detergents and fabric softener sheets all pose problems for pets. Fertilizers also have a lot of problem ingredients like nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, iron, zinc, herbicides and pesticides.
- Antifreeze and insecticides – The sweet taste of antifreeze is tempting to pets and as little as a teaspoon for cats or small dogs can trigger kidney failure. Other products to keep away from pets include insecticides in flea and tick products, rodenticides (which also cause problems if your pet eats a poisoned rodent), windshield wiper fluid and kerosene.
- Plants – Jimson weed (devil’s trumpet), Lilies (Easter, day, tiger, Japanese and Asiatic) cause kidney failure in cats and Lilies of the Valley cause heart rhythm problems for both cats and dogs. Sago palms and Tulips bulbs are also problems.
- A few other items – Coins, batteries and mothballs also can cause problems. In fact, the Zinc in a single penny could be fatal to many pets.
Learn more about pet poison prevention and dangers in your home for your pets by visiting the ASPCA site and keep their call center phone number - 888-426-4435 – handy. Tomorrow we’ll have tips for what to do in an emergency and more pet poison prevention tips.
To subscribe to my feed, type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.