How to create a DIY Scrappy Halloween table runner

I am going to host a Frankenstein book club this weekend and I decided I needed a scrappy Halloween table runner. I still have to put the binding on it but I will include pictures of that when I post about our Grand finale. It's going to be a Frankenstein/October Fest, too much fun! In the meantime, let's discuss how this all came to be.

frank-re-1

First you have to have scraps, yes? I had ordered two different kinds of Frankenstein fabric to make an apron. I thought does it need to be Frankenstein on both sides?

Answer, no! I had this fabric left over from making Halloween quilts last year. Or was this from the year before? frank-re-2

At any rate, I had scraps of the green and black Frankie fabric and a yard of a monster fabric. It had Frankenstein in key places. They both had green, black and white in the prints.

I cut 20" strips of green, black & white fabrics and those two pieces. I pieced some strips of the Spoonflower. I wanted a really long one.

frank-re-3I started with a 6" strip of the monsters which featured Franky boy at each side. I then added 2.5" strip of bright green on either side. To that I added a 2.5" strip of the striped Frankenburger fabric on each side.

Whatever I added on one side, I added to the other. frank-re-4

Some of the strips were slightly wider. When I had about 100" I stopped and evened up the whole thing. You can use any fabrics you like and make it as long as you want.

Be bold! Mix in some solids and vary the widthsfrank-re-5 of the strips.  When you quilt it see if you can't match your motif. I quilted mine with long lines that I broke up with a variation of his head, a fun rectangle.

frank-re-7

I finished quilting it while I was nervously keeping track of my favorite team playing in the NLDS. It was a great distraction as I need to use this table runner in two days and it kept me quilting.

Here's my husband, Cliff, holding up the pieced, quilted but sans binding runner. I am happy that I made the most of the two yards of fabric I bought. I have a Frankenstein/Halloween apron and a Halloween table runner I can use at my book club.frank-re-8

By then, it will even have binding. Why here it is! How did I get that done so quickly?

I am glad you asked! This is left over from the Modern Green Courthouse Steps King sized quilt I just finished. I also used it to bind a tattered quilt I remade.

Obviously I made way too much. It makes me really happy that my binding making skills are swell as well as the ability to stitch it on. However, the math skills for figuring out how much to make?

Those definitely need improvement.

Sew happy!

Want to see and enjoy more quilty fun? Check out my Facebook page. Like the page and join the conversation!

If you want to keep reading my blog, you can subscribe. There are two ways.

Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.

Or, look for the square on the side rail. Just type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. You will receive a verification email. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.

I wrote about my plans for this a while back. You can read that post here.

Leave a comment

  • Advertisement:
  • Advertisement:
  • ChicagoNow is full of win

    Welcome to ChicagoNow.

    Meet our bloggers,
    post comments, or
    pitch your blog idea.

  • Meet The Blogger

    Kathy Mathews

    My passions are quilting and sewing. Add to that French, Spanish, books, swimming, travels, new restaurants, yoga and chocolate and you have me. All of these are best shared with family and friends. Except for chocolate, don't touch my chocolate. You can email me at QuiltingSewingCreating@gmail.com

  • Recent posts

  • Monthly Archives

  • Categories

  • Follow on Bloglovin
  • Follow me on Pinterest

    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Latest on ChicagoNow

  • Advertisement: