Create greeting cards for an ugly fabric challenge

I am slowly getting back to sewing and small projects really appeal to me in this process. I decided to create greeting cards for an ugly fabric challenge in my guild. I got the idea from the success of making my own Valentines. The process is step by step in the Valentine post but you get a clear enough view of the process here, pretty darn fun and fast.

ugly-fabric-collage-re

We were all given a fat quarter of the purplish fabric on top. It has flowers on it that are beige, pink and gold. It didn't set off any lights in my head nor did it match well with anything in my stash.

Last fall I had made two Halloween quilts and I still had quite a bit of fabric left from that project. I had a fair amount of purple in those quilts. I cut some strips of six different fabrics.hf-re-1

I then pieced strips so that the variety showed up every 3 or 4 inches. I pressed the joining seams open and sewed all the strips together to make a chunk of fabric. I also pressed those seams open.

Back when I was making Valentines I had ordered brightly colored card stock and hadn't used it. I got that out and did a google search for free Halloween images. I printed a couple of pages and cut out a hat, a bat and a moon.

uf-re-2

I tested all three to see that it would fit on the card stock I had. I had to trim the bat a bit anduf-re-3 I held them up to my husband to make sure these shapes were recognizable. He adores it when I interrupt him watching him a show and ask him questions like that.

He could easily see what all were so I went ahead and cut out shapes. I cut out 4 of each shape from various parts of my chunk of string pieced fabric. Yes, I was cutting up strips I had just sewn together!

uf-re-4

I ironed each shape and used spray starch on each one. I had purple card stock, orange and green. I used 505 temporary fabric adhesive to affix a shape to each card. I had pieced the fabric in purple so I sewed each shape on the card using the same thread.card-collage-re

I used a zig zag stitch that I bumped down 2 spaces to make it closer together. I loved the cards but I still had quite a bit of the ugly fabric left. I also had a chunk of the string pieced fabric.

I decided to make a zippered pouch to keep all the cards in. This used up the extra fabric, you can see the pieced front and one fabric back. That fabric looked just fine on the back.

This set really turned out well. It would make a marvelous gift! To whom do you imagine I am giving this Halloween card and fun pouch set?

To me!

Sew happy!

Want to see and enjoy more quilty fun? Check out my Facebook page. Like the page and join the conversation!

If you want to keep reading my blog, you can subscribe. To do so, look for the square on the side rail. Just type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. You will receive a verification email. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.

I wrote a post recently on string piecing, you can read it here. Here's a second tutorial on zippered pouches as well.

Leave a comment

  • ChicagoNow is full of win

    Welcome to ChicagoNow.

    Meet our bloggers,
    post comments, or
    pitch your blog idea.

  • Advertisement:
  • Meet The Blogger

    Kathy Mathews

    My passions are quilting and sewing. Add to that French, Spanish, books, swimming, travels, new restaurants, yoga and chocolate and you have me. All of these are best shared with family and friends. Except for chocolate, don't touch my chocolate. You can email me at QuiltingSewingCreating@gmail.com

  • Monthly Archives

  • Categories

  • Follow on Bloglovin
  • Follow me on Pinterest

    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Latest on ChicagoNow

  • Advertisement: