Memorial Day, which commemorates those who perished in armed conflict, is a good time to reflect on war. What follows are ten quotations about war. How many authors can you identify?
Source: "Dictionary of Quotations" by Bergen Evans.
1. "It is well that war is so terrible---we would grow too fond of it."
2. "There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."
3."The laws are silent in times of war."
4. "War is nothing more than the continuation of politics by other means."
5. "Force and fraud are in war the two cardinal virtues."
6. "Yes, quaint and curious war is! / You shoot a fellow down /You'd treat if met where any bar is /Or help to half-a-crown."
7. "Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war."
8. "There never was a good war or a bad peace."
9. "We are mad, not only individually but nationally.. We check manslaughter and isolated murders; but what of war and the much vaunted crime of slaughtering whole peoples?"
10."An unjust peace is better than a just war."
1.Robert E. Lee
2. William T. Sherman
4. Karl von Clausewitz
5. Thomas Hobbes
6. Thomas Hardy
8. Ben Franklin
Filed under: war