When the World Cup opens tomorrow, Brazil will take center stage for millions of people around the world. So what better time to brush up on your knowledge of this fascinating South American nation. Here's a quiz to get you started.
1. Brazil is one of the BRIC countries who are at a similar stage of advanced economic develpoment. What country does the 'C' represent? (a) Canada (b) China (c) Croatia.
2. The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Brazil is about what percent of that of the United States? (a) 25 (b)10 (c) 50.
3. How many time zones does Brazil have? (a) 1 (b) 2 (c) 3.
4. What is the currency of Brazil called? (a) peso (b) real (c) nuevo sol.
5. The largest sector of Brazil's economy is (a) agriculture (b) industry (c) services.
6. In area Brazil exceeds all but one of the following countries: (a) United States (b) Australia (c) India.
7. Itaipu, the world's largest dam, lies at Brazil's border with which country? (a) Argentina (b) Paraguay (c) Uruguay.
8. One of the consequences of the Treaty of Tordesillas of 1494 is that Brazil's official language is (a) Spanish (b) Portuguese (c) French.
9. Brazil's most populous city is (a) Brasilia (b) Rio De Janeiro (c) Sao Paulo.
10. Which vegetation zone does Brazil not have? (a) savanna (b) wetland (c) desert.
11. In 1980 the Brazilian city of Cubatao was so polluted that 1/3 of the following died: (a) butterflies (b) fish (c) babies.
12. Brazil borders every other South American country except Chile and (a) Colombia (b) Suriname (c) Ecuador.
13. The Cathedral pictured below is in the city of (a) Brasilia (b) Rio de Janeiro (c) Sao Paulo.
14. Brazil each year attracts as many tourists (5 to 10 million) as all but one of the following countries? (a) Egypt (b) Turkey (c) France.
15. In 2002 what percent of Brazilians were hooked up to the Internet? (a) 10-25% (b) 25-50%(c) more than 60%.
16. Iguazu Falls in Brazil is how much wider than Niagara Falls? (a) two times (b) three times (c) four times.
17. Brazil derives most of its energy from (a) water(b) coal (c) wind.
18. The Sugarloaf Mountain provides the backdrop for which city? (a) Belem (b) Rio De Janeiro (c) Natal.
19. Most of Brazil's approximately 200 million people live in the (a) west (b) east (c) north.
20. Which of John Grisham's novels takes place in the Panatal, the 40,000 square mile wetlands of southwest Brazil? (a) The Testament (b) The Pelican Brief (c) The Rainmaker.
ANSWERS: (1) B (2) B (3) C (4) B (5) C (6) A (7) B (8) B (9) C (10) C (11) C (12) C (13) A (14) C (15) A (16) B (17) A (18) B (19) B (20) A