Born today was Madame Curie
Who discovered radium and succumbed to its fury.*
All for Science---to some so rad.
But my heart says it's rather sad.
*She died of aplastic anemia from overexposure to radiation.
Five curiosities of Curie's life:
1. She actually won 2 Nobel Prizes: In physics(1903) and chemistry(1911).
2. Her husband, Pierre, died in 1906 when he was struck by a carriage.
3. She took over his professorship at the Sorbonne, the first woman to teach there.
4. During World War I, a naturalized French citizen, she equipped ambulances with x-ray machines and she herself was one of the ambulance drivers. It is estimated that a million soldiers were x-rayed.
5. The Red Cross named her the head of its radiological services. [bbc.co.uk]