Born today : Henry David Thoreau
Who once into the woods did go
And lived there Spring, Fall, Winter, Summer.
And simply marched to his own drummer.*
* Some of his beats of wisdom:
1. "Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves."
2."The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."
3. "Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify."
4. "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
5. "Nature is full of genius, full of the divinity; so that not a snowflake escapes its finishing hand."
6. "A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."
7. "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."
8. "I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion."
9."The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation."
10. "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I come to die, discover that I had not lived."