Born today was Bishop Sheen*
Who spoke of God's love on the screen.
He said we're good, but often ain't.
And soon he'll be declared a saint.
*In his own words:
1. "Capitalism denies that economics is subject to a higher moral order."
2. "Some will not look on suffering because it creates responsibility."
3. "Right is right if nobody is right and wrong is wrong if everybody is wrong."
4. "We need a modification of the wage system, so that the worker may share in the profits, ownership or management of his industry. When labor leaders and capitalists thus agree together to give labor some capital to defend, there will no longer be two rival groups in industry. Labor and management will become two co-operating members working together, as the two legs of a man co-operate to help him walk."
5." A nation always gets the kind of politicians it deserves."
6."Economic activity is not the end of human life, but the servant of human life."
7."The right of a man to a living wage is prior to the right of return on investment."
8. "The Christian concept of politics is that government exists for the common good of all."
9. "There is a closer relationship between Communism and monopolistic Capitalism than most minds suspect. They are agreed on the materialistic basis of civilization. They disagree only on who shall control that basis, capitalists or bureaucrats."
10. At the end of every telecast: "God loves you. Good night."