How about a quiz to mark the opening of "The Hobbit:An Unexpected Journey"?
1. Which of the following doesn't describe Bilbo Baggins' house?
a. It's a hole in the ground.
b. Everything is on one floor.
c. The best room has no windows.
d. It's entry door is round.
2. Whatever adventurous spirit Bilbo has was inherited from
a. His father, Bungo
b. Bingo Baggins
c. Mungo Baggins
d. His mother, Belladonna Took
3. Bilbo is visited by Gandalf and 13
4. Thorin's surname is
5. Gandalf recommends Bilbo for the adventure because
a. He has the magic ring.
b. He owns ponies to carry the provisions.
c. Heroes weren't available.
d. He killed Azog the Goblin.
6. On the journey to the Lonely Mountain, the first villains met are
7. The fattest dwarf is
d. One size fits all dwarves.
8. Who lived in the Last Homely House west of the Misty Mountains?
c. Bert, William, and Tom
d. Fili and Kili.
9. Bilbo, Gandalf, and the Dwarves enter a cave to escape
d. a bad storm
10. Who says "Slash them! Beat them! Bite them! Gnash them!"?
d. the Great Goblin
11. Thorin is the heir of
12. Orcrist and Glamdring are
13. Moon-letters or rune-letters were written
a. in blood
b. by Gollum
c. with silver pens
d. to Bilbo's family back home
14. Who refers to himself as 'my preciousss'?
d. the Lord of the Eagles
15. Bilbo and Gollum engage in a duel
a. with swords
b. underwater in a lake
c. during a full moon
d. of riddles
Answers: (1) c; (2) d; (3) b; (4) c; (5) c; (6) c; (7) b (8) b (9) d; (10) d; (11) c; (12) d; (13) c; (14) c (15) d.