Remember that old TV ad that showed a Native American crying at the sight of environmental pollution? From whichever room in our Heavenly Father's House President Eisenhower is looking down upon the present Republican Party, he must have tears rolling down his cheeks too. The presumptive Republican candidate for president, Mitt Romney, might have a hard time inscribing in his platform the following planks Ike had in his in 1956.
1. "That men are created equal needs no affirmation, but they must have equality of opportunity and protection of their civil rights under the law."
2. "America does not prosper unless all Americans prosper."
3." Government must have a heart as well as a head."
4. "Courage in principle, cooperation in practice make freedom positive."
5. "Labor is the United States. The men and women who with their minds, their hearts, and their hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country---they are America."
6. "In all things which deal with people be liberal, be human. In all things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative."
7. "The purpose of the Republican Party is to establish and maintain a peaceful world and build at home a dynamic prosperity in which every citizen fairly shares."
8. "We believe that basic to governmental integrity are unimpeachable ethical standards and irreproachable personal conduct by all people in government."
9."The protection of the rights of workers to organized into unions and to bargain collectively is the fundamental and permenant policy of the Eisenhower Administration."
10. "We will continue to protect by law the assets of employee welfare and benefit plans so that workers who are their beneficiaries can be assured of their rightful benefits."
Filed under: politics