From the Illinois Policy Institute…
Over the past week, there has been a lot of news coverage of the line item vetos Gov. Quinn made before signing the budget. Many have mischaracterized this budget as one that is austere.
As we’ve said before that is not the case and these additional “cuts” the governor made don’t change that assessment.
The cuts are minimal at best. The actual cuts equate to only $8 per person and still are not enough to allow for the scheduled sunset of the tax hikes.
To learn more, check out the latest in our portfolio of budget work.
Senior Tax and Budget Policy Analyst
Illinois Policy Institute
Institute Headlines and Events
- VIDEO: Why economic freedom is key to improving quality of life. This new video has been earning a lot of popularity over the last week. Check it out and share it with your friends.
- VIDEO: John Tillman discusses Quinn's fake "cuts" on Chicago Tonight. Budget gimmickry in Springfield is being passed off as genuine fiscal restraint.
- Where Daily Life and Policy Meet: Alternatives to ObamaCare. Christie Herrera of the American Legislative Exchange Council joins Kristina Rasmussen to discuss alternatives to ObamaCare's heavy-handed approach to health care reform. Subscribe to the Daily Life podcast on iTunes.
- Adopt-A-District training events in Peoria (July 21) and Rockford (July 26). Our elected officials desperately need input from citizens and taxpayers to bring balance to the policy decisions they make every day. Learn how to make a bigger impact with your local legislators.
- SAVE THE DATE: Milton Friedman Day Policy Breakfast on July 29