I might focus on MMA a lot because of the explicit title of this column, but truth is I love boxing. It is my first love - so-to-speak. It is a shame that it is not able to keep up with MMA right now and that its present seems more than decades from its past. I eagerly await a new superstar for the sport of boxing. I have always dreamed it would be someone in the light or feather weight divisions, but I know that is not realistic right now. But I would take even any heavyweight to re-kindle the love, spirit and fire the sport possessed for me since I was a kid watching the Greats: Felix Savon and Teofilo Stevenson, Cuban Olympic Fighters or Sugar Ray Leonard who earned me more minutes in front of the tube and was considered to be a legitimate reason for blowing off homework. Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are idolistic in their presence, skills and accomplishments, but they can not even work out the details of fighting eachother - a Super Fight that would clearly help the sport out. So here are a few tidbits to know about the sport of boxing if you too started as a boxing fan, but is now caught up in the MMA thing.
- 'Facing Ali' is a documentary being aired on SPIKE TV that will give praise of the Legend from Ali's former opponents.
- Oliver McCall, former Heavyweight Champ, got arrested for cocaine possession this past weekend. He was scheduled to fight Zuri Lawrence at the Hard-Rock in Hollywood this week.
- Floyd Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) will fight Shane Mosley (46-5,39 KOs)
- Evander Holyfield, former World Heavyweight Champ, had a restraining order filed against him by his wife for abuse.
- Hall of Famers Roy Jones, Jr and Bernard Hopkins discussed last week meeting again this year under the guise of Golden Boy Productions.
- Quadtrine Hills, former University of Miami running back who played briefly for NFL teams New England, Chicago and Houston fights his pro-boxing debut today, Tuesday, Feb 16.