Last summer, my colleague and friend Wendy Widom asked me and many other ChicagoNow bloggers to join a campaign that quickly raised $124,000 to buy and deliver 1,500 boxes of baby essentials to mothers in Syrian refugee camps.
The women who initiated the campaign recently asked some of our doctor friends remaining in Syria how we could continue to help.
The answer: More Baby Boxes. In honor of Mother’s Day and the brave women in Syria, we are launching the next round of #ParcelofLove. The goal: 2,000 baby boxes.
Families are living in refugee camps, war-torn and poverty-stricken, without access to basic life needs such as shelter, food, medicine and clothing. Mothers in Syria are delivering babies every day into a world of chaos and grief. They cling to their newborn children with all the hope that a new life promises.
It is hard to know how to help people who are thousands of miles away. I am grateful to the Heroic Hearts Organization for creating a way for us to do something concrete to bring comfort and compassion to the refugees. By nothing more than pure luck, I was born in America and not in a war-torn country like Syria.
I am forever grateful for my freedom and my security, which allows me to hold my children at night, their ears filled with songs and stories instead of the deafening sounds of falling bombs. Please consider supporting the Parcel of Love campaign to help the babies we cannot protect.
From Heroic Hearts:
The seven-year Syrian war has killed more than 400,000 and displaced millions of families. Forced to leave their homes, most have nothing but the clothes they wear, and the items they can carry.
In 2017, four women in the United States had an idea: to send baby boxes filled with much-needed infant supplies to displaced moms in Syria, a Parcel of Love to show these new mothers they are not alone.
With our partners, Heroic Hearts Organization and Save the Syrian Children, the 2018 Parcel of Love campaign aims to hand-deliver a fully equipped baby box to 2,000 moms and their babies living in camps throughout Syria. Each Parcel of Love will contain baby essentials: warm clothing and blankets, health care items, and a packable bassinet for the baby to safely sleep in.
Each Parcel of Love is a symbol of hope, and a message to our Syrian sisters that we stand with them.
SELECT THE PACKAGE AND DONATE
- $10.00 USD: Bath Time - Bathing essentials include one hooded towel, six washcloths, baby-safe soap, shampoo and lotion.
- $15.00 USD: Bed Time - The packable basinet provides baby with a safe haven to sleep, plus a wearable blanket for safe sleeping.
- $20.00 USD: Infant Essentials - Supply baby with a pack of of disposable diapers and baby wipes, a digital display thermometer, two pacifiers, and a BPA-free baby bottle.
- $30.00 USD: Clothing and Blankets - Keep baby warm and clothed, with two long-sleeved footed sleepers, five short-sleeved bodysuits, two pairs of pants, two caps, four bibs, four burp cloths, four receiving blankets, and one warm and comfy blanket for snuggling.
- $50.00 USD: Three Months of Infant Formula - Provide at least three months of formula to an infant and mother. *HHO’s teams on the ground in Syria work directly with maternity hospitals and new mothers to assess the need for formula. These trained workers provide much-needed nutrition along with the necessary education for formula feeding and/or supplementing.
- $75.00 USD: Fully Equipped Baby Box - A Parcel of Love, fully stocked with all necessities, including feeding, clothing, diapering, first aid, bathing supplies, Vitamin D drops, and a travel-ready bassinet where baby can safely sleep.
- $100.00 USD: Baby Box with Formula - A Parcel of Love, fully stocked with all the essentials, with a six-week supply of infant formula.
- $250.00 USD: Two Baby Boxes with Three Months Formula - Send two babies a Parcel of Love, fully stocked with all the essentials, plus a three-month supply of infant formula for each.
- $500.00 USD: Provide for Five Moms and Babies in Syrian Camps - Show five new mothers they are not alone by providing a fully-stocked Parcel of Love to their newborns, along with a six-week supply of formula.
Fast facts from Parcel of Love:
- Refugees face extreme poverty, limited shelter, limited medical access, virtually no access to education, and children are showing symptoms of psychological strain from the traumas of witnessing war.
- Top worries of every mom living in the camps: hardships of childbirth in such a setting, worries about what they’ll feed their newborn and the feeling of abandonment
- The Heroic Hearts Organization is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit, non-political organization, dedicated to bringing lasting and positive change to lives of the internally displaced or those suffering in war-ravaged communities. 100% of your donation will go directly to the cause without administrative overhead.
* * * *
Carrie Goldman is the writer of Portrait of an Adoption. She is an award-winning author, speaker, and bullying prevention educator. Follow Carrie's blog Portrait of an Adoption on Facebook and Twitter
To continue receiving posts from Portrait of an Adoption, simply type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button.