Do you have an adoption or foster care story to tell? Are you an adoptee, birth parent, adoptive parent or foster parent?
Welcome to Portrait of an Adoption! So happy you are here. In honor of November being National Adoption Awareness Month, I will be running the sixth annual special series called 30 Adoption Portraits in 30 Days.
The series is designed to give a voice to many different people with widely varying perspectives on adoption. Some stories will describe heartwarming and uplifting experiences, while others will reflect the pain, darkness and anger often embedded in adoption and foster care.
In an effort to provide an authentic portrayal of what adoption means to different people, my series will feature guest posts by adoptees, birthparents, adoptive parents, relatives of adoptees, and foster parents.
If you are interested in submitting your story, please note the following submission guidelines:
- Email me an original personal essay of 1,000 – 3,000 words to email@example.com
- Please include a 2-3 sentence bio with any links to your work and an optional photo.
- Due to the volume of submissions, I do not accept essays that have been previously published on other sites, but you may absolutely republish your piece anywhere you want immediately after the series ends!
- Submission deadline is September 30, 2016, but I pick posts on a first come, first serve basis, so the sooner you send in your piece, the better to guarantee a spot.
- It is very important to me that the series has a good flow and an emotional balance. As such, I try to pick stories that are not too similar to each other. If I receive a bunch of fantastic essays that are from a common perspective, I will only run a couple of them, so that we can represent multiple experiences.
Remember, I can only run stories from the options that have been submitted, so if you have a story to tell and you want to see your voice represented, send it in! Men, women, teens – everyone is invited to send a story. May the Force Be With You as you send in your submission!
And be sure to check out our awesome children’s chapter book, Jazzy’s Quest: Adopted and Amazing! The second book in the Jazzy's Quest series will be available this fall.
Read about Carrie's adoption experience here: Deep Thoughts On The Eve of The Birth Family Reunion
To continue receiving posts from the fabulous blog Portrait of an Adoption, simply type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button.