What is Wear Star Wars Every Day?
Wear Star Wars Every Day is an amazing charity fundraising project started by jawajames, one of the members of Club Jade. JawaJames has these two goals:
- Wear a different Star Wars-themed clothing item every day for as long as he can keep the streak going. He started on January 1, 2016, and hopes to make it through the entire year.
- Raise $10,000 for Collateral Repair Project, a grassroots non-profit organization that provides emergency aid, education, and community support for urban refugees in Amman, Jordan.
These two goals can be achieved together when supporters pledge a per-day amount. A small amount such as a dime or a quarter a day adds up to a large amount if James can go all year (10 cents a day will total $36.60 by year’s end, while 25 cents a day will total $91.50). People can also support Wear Star Wars Every Day by making a fixed donation, or lending or donating Star Wars apparel items to him to wear to keep the streak going.
James is coming up on day 50, and he is really hoping to get a few more daily pledge donors to get him up to $5/day. Right now he is at $3.95/day total. Even 25 cents per day pledge would really help.
He started February with a week of Star Wars baby wear to highlight that many refugees in Jordan are babies and children, and they lack access to education.
On the Wear Star Wars Every Day Facebook page, James posts photos of what Star Wars apparel item is being worn that day, videos recapping the past week’s wear, updates on fundraising and news from Collateral Repair Project. He also posts updates on Twitter with the hashtag #WearStarWarsEveryDay from his account, @jamesjawa.
Even a small amount can make a real difference in Collateral Repair Project’s work:
- $7 feeds one person for a week
- $14 buys school supplies for a child
- $20 buys a mattress for one person
- $28 feeds one person for a month
- $50 feeds a family of four for a month
How can I help?
There are several ways to help Wear Star Wars Every Day and Collateral Repair Project:
- Pledge a per-day amount. You can make a per-day pledge via this online form. At the end of each month and at the end of the project, you will receive an email reminding you of your pledge with that month’s total amount (per-day pledge amount multiplied by the number of days completed that month) and the link to the GoFundMe page.
- Make a flat donation. You can make a tax-deductible donation online with a credit card at James’ GoFundMe page: gofundme.com/WearStarWars2016 – GoFundMe does take 9.25% for credit card processing and hosting the site. If you wish to donate directly to Collateral Repair Project, they have several options for donating via credit card, PayPal, bank transfer, and check. If you do make a donation to CRP through a method other than the GoFundMe page, please let James know of the donation so he can track it towards his fundraising goal. Contact him via the Facebook page, or using the Contact link at the bottom of the GoFundMe page.
- Spread the word! Show your support for Wear Star Wars Every Day by sharing the links with your friends. Use the #WearStarWarsEveryDay hashtag on social media.
- Send James some Star Wars clothes. Even though James has a good number of Star Wars apparel items in his collection, he doesn’t have enough to go through the entire year with a different item each day. He is especially keen to wear cool fan-made designs or designs for Star Wars fan events or fan organizations like costume clubs, websites, podcasts, collecting groups, and other fan groups. He’s willing to promote your artwork or organization if you include that information with the garment. Help keep James’ streak going, and thus keep the per-day pledges making money for CRP.
James will wear any article of clothing that is Star Wars-themed, cleaned, not offensive, and that he can fit into. (He’s a men’s size M or L t-shirt, and 6-ft tall). Shirts, sweatshirts, hats, socks, ties, scarves, etc. are accepted. Not accepted: undergarments, swimwear, or accessories (jewelry, watches, bags, buttons, patches). James reserves the right to choose not to wear any article of clothing.
Ship via post your apparel items to:
PO Box 22353
San Diego, CA 92192-2353
Please indicate whether your apparel item is a donation or a loan (and include shipping information if you’d like it to be returned). All clothing items will be laundered before being returned or donated. All clothing items designated for donation will either be sent as aid items to Collateral Repair Project if acceptable, or donated to a local San Diego aid organization.
About Collateral Repair Project:
Collateral Repair Project (CRP) is a grassroots refugee aid organization located in East Amman, a neighborhood home to a growing number of urban refugees from Syria and Iraq. Our bifold programming focuses on providing emergency assistance and community building workshops. Monthly food vouchers, medical support, fuel, and clothing are among the many services covered through our emergency assistance program. Likewise, our community center in Hashemi Shamali is home to several support groups for teens and adults, as well as English classes, a women’s craft co-op, yoga classes, and more.
Collateral Repair Project is a registered 501(c)(3) organization based in Brooklyn, New York. Visit CRP on the web at collateralrepairproject.org and like them on Facebook at facebook.com/CRProject and follow them on Twitter.
James Floyd (jawajames) lives in San Diego, California is a reviewer and interviewer for ClubJade.net. He is not affiliated with Collateral Repair Project and learned about the organization from one of his relatives, who serves on the CRP board. Follow him on Twitter: @jamesjawa.
To continue receiving posts from the fabulous blog Portrait of an Adoption, simply type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button.
Are you looking for an awesome children's book? Check out our new release Jazzy's Quest: Adopted and Amazing!