Anders Holm, best known for his comedic genius on comedy central’s “Workaholics” and Fox’s “The Mindy Project “ (love that show), seemed to be the perfect choice to give the commencement address at UW-Madison’s graduation ceremonies last weekend.
Chosen by the graduating students, my 22 year-old niece among them, the badger alum spoke at all 5 ceremonies( 1 Friday, 2 Saturday and 2 Sunday) challenging the new graduates to “Actively think about who they are and how they want to spend their time on earth.”
His words resonated with the crowd, hell they resonated with me! Good advice at any age but especially for new graduates. To truly know who you are and what you want in life is a gift.
College grads will face tough times throughout their lives (as we all do) but to know who they are and what they want to accomplish with their lives will help move them forward and meet the challenge of tough times with hope and grace.
It is no small task to carve out a place in this world but with hard work, perseverance, and a belief in oneself we can accomplish more than we ever thought possible. Right on Anders Holm! “On, Wisconsin!”
A complete list of Anders tips to the graduates:
1. You must be able to handle rejection. Love it, spoon with it.
2. Be prepared to work harder than everyone else for what you want. When you know what it is don’t stop until you get it. And always make time to watch cartoons
3. When your boss asks you to do something; say yes, even if you think you can’t do it – you have until you're 25 before anyone will know your name.
4. Practice being curious. Want to know things. Ask lots of questions.
5. Consider what people think of you but don't be afraid of what they think of you.
6. In conclusion a quote from actor Jamie Foxx while filming the movie “Ray”: “After 6 hours of being blind you lose the sense of how a person is physically. You hear the little buzzing voices around you.” Holm went on to say “No matter what you say if you say it slowly, in a cool robe, it will sound more smarter.”
Filed under: Uncategorized