Well hello there friends! I was trying my darnedest to get my new Plant. Strong. Diva. 2.0 site up and running before sharing this awesome vegan shepherd's pie recipe with you, but as time would have it, I ran out. Now, I didn't want to leave you hanging without this amazing vegan shepherd's pie recipe, since St. Patrick's day is literally around the corner! So get your grocery shopping completed and be sure to whip up this tasty traditional Irish dish for your friends and family Monday night. It was a huge hit at our house!
Also, make sure you subscribe below. My next post will be from my newly launched site and I don't want you to miss any tasty recipes or fun articles from Plant. Strong. Diva (me)!
Vegan Shepherd's Pie with Mushroom Gravy
Makes 6-8 generous servings, Vegan & Dairy-Free
(Adapted from Oh She Glows)
Mashed Potato Topping
- 3-4 large potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2-3 T Earth Balance, or equivalent
- 1/3 cup + 2 T plain dairy free milk
- 1 T Tamari
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 1 cup vegetable stock/broth
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T Poultry seasoning herbs freshly chopped or dried (Thyme, Rosemary, Sage)
- 2 tsp. smoked, sweet paprika (to top pie before serving)
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup, vegetable broth (or more as needed)
- 1/4 cup red or white wine (or more as needed)
- 1 T fresh poultry herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme) chopped
- 1 T Tamari
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 2-3 T corn starch (to thicken)
- 1 package Upton Natural Italian Seitan, seared in oil and 2 T red wine vinegar
- 1 T whole fennel seed
1. Bring a medium-large pot with salted water to a boil and add chopped potatoes (for mashed potato topping) then simmer on low for about 30 minutes until very tender.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetable filling. Chop all vegetables and mince onion and garlic (or press garlic).
3. Add onions and garlic with some of the olive oil to a very large skillet or stockpot and cook on low for about 5-7 minutes and add in some of the wine.
4. Add in the remaining ingredients, except cornstarch, stir so liquid and spices are coating all vegetables. Cover and let simmer.
5. When the potatoes are done cooking, drain and add back to the pot. Add the Earth Balance (or butter), milk, tamari, broth, olive oil and seasonings and mash well. Set aside.
6. Add cornstarch to vegetable filling mixture and let cook until tender (about 15-20 minutes)
7. Cook Uptons Natural Italian seitan in oiled pan with 1 clove pressed garlic and red wine vinegar until brown and seared looking.
8. Spread Uptons Naturals into casserole dish or glass pan add a thick layer of the vegetable mixture into casserole dish.
9. Spread on the mashed potato mixture and garnish with paprika, ground pepper, and Thyme.
10. Bake at 425F for about 35 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Allow to cool at least 5 minutes before serving. Mixture will be very hot in the middle so be careful!
11. Serve with a large crisp green salad or Brussels sprouts and top with this homemade mushroom gravy!
Will you try this delicious recipe?
Make sure you subscribe below so you don't miss a bite!