Once again, it's time for another round of Derby Dozen. With ten weeks to the event, and a number of February preps in the books, it's time for a new list.
The Author is pleased to be a member of the "Derby Dozen" panel for WirePlayers. Each member of the panel chooses twelve of the best Kentucky Derby Contenders. In addition, there are comments from members of the panel. The list is taken fairly seriously; the comments however are more snarky than serious.
(Note: As this list is published before the final list is published including all the panelists, a link to the final ballot will be provided once it is available.)
Update, February 27: Final Ballot is here.
Without further ado, here's the Derby Dozen.
- REVOLUTIONARY Still has room to grow, but still worried about the male side of the pedigree.
- FEAR THE KITTEN A splashy second in the Southwest after escaping the Derby Prep Black Hole of New Orleans.
- SUPER NINETY NINE I wish I had this to get me through watching the Risen Star.
- ITSMYLUCKYDAY Working well enough to stay relevant, but not racing enough to keep me interested in backing him in the Florida Derby.
- CODE WEST Has only one speed, but it might be dangerous enough if put into the right hands. The only thing worth rescuing from the wreckage of the Risen Star Stakes.
- ORB Good to see Shug back on the Derby trail, but a son of Malibu Moon can only go so far.
- FLASHBACK Remember me? I didn’t run against anything in the Lewis, but...
- MAC THE MAN Remains in the weeds at Turfway. Needs to man up in the next Spiral feeder.
- DICE FLAVOR By Scat Daddy? Check. Win the El Camino Real Derby? Check. “B” Derby feeder, here we come!
- VERAZZANO The two turn test comes in the Tampa Bay Derby. Is he more like Street Sense or War Pass?
- VIOLENCE Wagering on Violence in the Derby or the two upcoming future pools will lead you to starring in a PSA about fraud.
- I’VE STRUCK A NERVE Like Hero of Order last year, I expect $40,000 claimers to have their way with this Fair Grounds prep winner down the line.
Got any good contenders? Don't see your favorite? State your case, drop a comment, and let me know.