I don't remember who said this, but there really are places in the heart you don't even know exist until you love a child. -Anne Lamott
Imagine the love of your life - your child. Her face, her laugh, her giant hugs and sloppy kisses...
Now imagine your baby is sick and there is nothing you can do about it. Doctors poke and prod at your daughter and later provide a grisly diagnosis.
Strangers offer unsolicited advice and unwanted hopeful thoughts. As your child's perfect world crashes down on her, you stand by on the sidelines, helpless.
My blogging friend, Mary Tyler Mom, shared a tragic yet moving account of her 20-month-old daughter, Donna, who was diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor in March of 2007. Peeking into the heart of this devastated mother, I found myself angry. Angry that cancer exists. Cringing and sick at the thought of my children being consumed by this awful disease.
Inspired by Donna's story and fueled with anger, I realized I could help end childhood cancer by supporting research today.
In honor of her daughter and a fervent dedication to supporting children with childhood cancer and their families, Mary Tyler Mom created "Donna's Good Things" - a movement of hope, a place to give back, and a community in which to be inspired.
In partnership with the St. Baldrick's Foundation, Donna's Good Things is raising money to fund cancer research and an anonymous donor has generously committed to match all contributions raised up to $2000 from February 14 - February 18!
So, how can you help?
- Donate now to fund lifesaving research.
- Sign up as a Shavee or Volunteer at an event near you!
- Can't find an event in your area? Organize your own!
- Questions? Visit stbaldricks.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Now it's your turn:
- Do you have a cancer story? If not, read Donna's Story and find yourself instantly immersed into a loving family.
- Get angry.
- Donate to Conquer Kids' Cancer
- Now smile and hug someone you love.
Thank you for your support!