If you are still looking for training tips for Steelhead, then you are in trouble. With less than a week away for the big race on the "big lake," athletes are tapering and getting ready for their trip to St. Joe., Michigan.
We have put together a few tips that will help you with everything else you need to know about Steelhead and St. Joe, Michigan.
1. To avoid traffic, continue past Exit 27 (the usual exit for St. Joe/Benton harbor) and head towards Highway 96 (towards Grand Rapids) and then take Exit #4- Coloma Road. This is the "backdoor" to St. Joe. At the bottom of the exit take a right, Coloma Road dead ends into Blue Star Highway, take a left, 5 miles down is Jean Klock Park on the right. This way you are avoiding several lights, plenty of traffic and you get to make a right into the park, instead of a left.
2. Pie! Maybe not before the race, but after, as you're heading out of town, stop at Bobs Barn 4858 Coloma Road.
Quite possibly the best pie I have ever had, Apple, Blueberry, Lemon Crumble, Cherry, Strawberry Rhubarb, they have it all, homemade and yummy.
Ken and Lyn, have been running this little red barn for decades and greet every customer with a smile, story and a selection of pies that will amaze. Make sure to call in your order and they will have it waiting hot and ready. It's a little slice of heaven that will be the perfect reward for a race completed.
3. Martins Grocery Store- Think Western Michigan's version of Dominicks- 2121 Cleveland Street . If you forgot something, and you will, they have everything you need. Gatorade, Powerbars, fruit, sun block, and a great assortment of local wine, next to Papa Vino's (carb loading) Martin's is your local anchor for supplies.
4. Kilwins Ice Cream and Fudge- Yes, we have them locally, but nothing tastes better than walking along the quaint streets of St. Joe and eating ice cream. If you have fans coming to support you, but them a "thank you cone," for putting up with you. If your fans stayed home, bring them back some home made fudge. All will be forgiven.
5. Packet Pick Up- If you are in the City and want to get a jump on your packet pick up, you can go to Running Away Multisport at 1634 North Avenue on Wednesday between 10:00AM to 8:00 PM.
6. Brand new roads are ready to rock! Below is a video clip of what the roads looked like a month ago. Construction crews were putting the final touches on Blue Star Highways new face. The roads are like glass! A wider shoulder, smooth, new and ready to be raced on!
Finally. Below is how the water looked in St. Joe, Michigan, calm and warm. The forecast as of today (Monday) is for a high of 78 degrees and partly cloudy, which is just about perfect.