The kids may have flown the coop, but did they take all their stuff? Nope. You are left with a bedroom full of childhood items and lots of misc. stuff in your home. Whether you are moving in the next year, or just want to clean out, you need to figure out what to do with their stuff.
Here are some tips to help you pair down your kids stuff.
1. Get rid of the junk. Anything broken or just plain trash.
2. Sort by category.
3. Make an inventory.
4. Let your kids know what you have. Ask them what they feel comfortable letting go. I was working with a client last week and we called her daughter and were able to donate an additional six boxes of items.
5. If your kids live close to you, have them come over and go through things.
6. Consolidate what is left over and decide where you can store it.
7. If your kids live out of state, and visit for holidays, have boxes or bins ready for them to sort when they come home. Little by little you will be able to purge their stuff.
If you follow these simple steps, you will be able to clear the clutter. If you have a lot of items, consider having a garage sale!