On April 16th, I got the shock of my life. My baby brother passed away. I was sitting at my desk plowing through my paperwork when I got the call. I immediately cleared my schedule and planned to leave for Texas.
In my state of shock, I first started to call his friends. It was horrible. They had no idea why I was calling and were all so nice and cheerful. Then, I started calling the family. Somehow I managed to notify, everyone and answered lots of text and emails.
It was about one in the morning when I finished this process and decided to pack and get a plane ticket.
The next five days in Dallas where a blur. I tried to be helpful. I was on kid duty, breakfast duty, and whatever else needed to be done. I answered the door, answered calls and email from family and friends. Somehow my family made it through. Keeping busy was my sanity.
Then I came home. Back to reality. I have a business to run. A life to live. All the family, friends, and duties were gone. It was so quiet. As with anyone that has gone through a horrible life event, I was running on low energy. Curling up on the couch and staring at the wall was not an option for me.
When life throws you a curve ball, take it down a notch. Here are some principles I am living by right now.
1. I am doing what I need to do each day. Working, scheduling clients, and taking care of myself.
2. I am slowing down on the social side. I am taking things day by day. I am not pushing myself to be the social diva.
3. I am doing more for myself. Things to make me happy. I am doing some home projects. So far I have picked out blinds, a clock for the kitchen, and bathroom pictures.
4. Giving myself time to reflect.
5. Doing a little exercise each day to clear my mind.
6. Keeping in close contact with my family.
Every night before I go to bed, I write a list of goals for the next day. It helps keep me on track. I prioritize. I am giving myself a break. I have to function- not be perfect.
Filed under: Uncategorized