Running your own business is pretty crazy, especially if you are a one man show. You have to find a way to do it all and keep a smile on your face. Somehow, I have managed to run my own business for 13 years and make it work. Here are some tips to help you keep your business on track.
- The most important thing to any business is sales and communication. In order to make sales, you need to communicate with your clients and potential clients. When the phone rings- grab it. This should be your first priority. If someone emails you, and you don't have the time to immediately call them, let them know when you will be able to call them.
- Let your clients know when is a good time to contact you. I have an open door policy and my clients know that I am up early in the morning and am also happy to take a call after hours if I am home.
- After sales, marketing is essential. As technology changes, so does our media presence. It can be overwhelming to keep up with all the different platforms.
- In order to keep a business running, you need capital. Its important to keep on top of your billing and collections.
- Paper work- Don't let that inbox fill up! Make files not piles. Think about a scanning program to reduce your paper. Make time each day to process your papers.
- Have a game plan. Each night before I go to bed, I make a game plan for the next day. This includes professional and personal tasks for the next day.
And most importantly, feel blessed that you are able to live your dream!!