I have seen many a kitchen in my time. From huge mansions to small condos. And you want to know a secret- most of them are not 100% functional. They sure are pretty though.
With that being said, I feel that kitchens are the most challenging rooms to organize. There are no cookie cutter solutions. We all function a little different in our kitchens. Here are some things to think about when designing your space.
* What do you use everyday?
* What should be on your counter?
* If you are a coffee drinker, then consider using the cabinets above where you place your Kerig for a beverage center.
* Your daily dishes, glasses and silverware should be as close to the dishwasher as possible.
* Do you plan on having an overflow area in the basement? If not, what large items do you need to fit in the kitchen. Think platters, roasting pan, ect.
* What about your cookbooks?
* How many sets of dishes do you have?
* Are you a baker?
* Lets not forget about the pantry! Shallow shelves! Deep pantry shelves are like the land of the lost! They make me want to cry!!
* Lets talk utensils. Do you put them in canisters on the counter or want them in drawers? Plastic bags and wrap? Towels and oven mitts?
* Pots and Pan Storage.
* Are you going to create an overflow area?
* What specialty items do you need to store?
You have a lot to think about when designing a kitchen. Make a list of what you have, then design your kitchen around it. It will work out better in the long run. Then enjoy!!!
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.